Markets in everything — fake wedding guests

by on August 24, 2005 at 9:12 pm in Economics | Permalink

This report is from India:

An Indian firm which rents out wedding guests says business is booming.

The Best Guests Centre, at Jodhpur in Rajasthan, is looking to expand across the state.

The company caters for families who fear they will fall short of guests at weddings.

It hires out guests, either traditionally dressed or wearing smart western clothes, according to requirements and budget.

The guests dance and try to impress with their etiquette without letting anyone know they are being paid for it.

Proprietor M I Syed briefs his staff about the groom, the bride and their families before the wedding to avoid a faux pas.

He
told The Statesman: “The breaking up of joint families and lack of
affection among relatives also creates a demand for paid guests.

"Such families need to hire guests to make up for the fewer number of relatives available for attending the marriage.”

Funny thing is, I would pay people to stay away from my wedding…Thanks to Josh Edlin for the pointer.

Richard Bellamy August 25, 2005 at 10:39 am

I have never been to a wedding in India, but I have been to several Indian weddings in Pennsylvania. They are huge. Generally, the invitation extends to everyone in the church (and if the families attended different churches, then both).

I would say the average attendance at a traditional Indian-American wedding in Pennsylvania is 500 people.

If that is the cultural norm in India as well, it would explain how you could easily fall short of the desired number by 100s of people.

Kl August 25, 2005 at 2:15 pm

The Russians have a centuries-old tradition of hiring what’s called a “wedding general.” The couple basically pays some highly-positioned person (hence “general”) to attend their wedding and act like he actually knows the couple or the families. This is supposed to impress other guests (“Did you know that so-and-so was at their wedding?”)

Mr. Econotarian August 26, 2005 at 11:53 am

On the other hand, the best wedding I went to this year had 15 people there…

Anonymous October 13, 2008 at 10:13 pm
Zacsifac March 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I have never thought people are actually going to pay for someone to come at their wedding, they really need to find some friends. I’m curious how much money does a fake guest receives for a wedding?
Jerry – weddings newcastle specialist