Invisible hand podcasts

by on January 14, 2006 at 7:41 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

Here is the link, I am told that many of these podcasts concern business and economics books.  I am excited by podcasts, but only in the abstract.  I can read faster than you can, but I cannot listen any faster; the rest is comparative advantage.  If you know of other good economics-related podcasts, please tell us in the comments.  Here is a list of Slate-recommended (non-economics) podcasts.  Here are recommendations from Michael at www.2blowhards.com; these include the excellent Radio Economics.  Interviews with Krugman and Sachs are new on that site.

1 odograph January 14, 2006 at 9:48 am

I was into podcasts for a while. Maybe until I caught up on the best conference-captures. Anyway, what I’d do is download them to my mp3 player, and go for a walk in the park. I had a most excellent morning sitting on a bluff, staring at the Pacific Ocean, and listening to some smart guy (I forget who) lecturing staffers at the Library of Congress on tagging and the long tail. A big site, with a lot of varied content, is http://www.itconversations.com

Clay Christensen has racked up one of their “most popular” shows. Maybe because his economics are of special geek interest 😉

2 Charlie Quidnunc January 14, 2006 at 10:02 am

I podcast on political topics, with an occasional economic angle, usually related to the the anti-WalMart anti-economists.

I include excerpts of C-SPAN or other sources so listeners can hear the subject’s voice.

The benefit of podcast listening is the ability to hear it while you are away from your computer. Load up your MP3 player and go for a walk in the woods. Your eyes, your wrists, and your heart will thank you.

3 DK January 15, 2006 at 8:15 am

I agree with Tyler, and I hate it when websites like cnn.com that put content in video or audio form without a text alternative.

But podcasts are justified by my 30 minute daily drive to work. I live in Atlanta, and I have not mastered the art of reading and driving at the same time. Or the art of feeling that NPR covers the stories that I would most want to hear. I tried satellite radio news, but it was mostly an exercise in realizing that the TV morning shows spent like 80% of their airtime on not-very-witty banter.

4 Slocum January 15, 2006 at 11:29 am

If I commuted, I might be interested in podcasts, but as a phenomenon, I hope they go disappear. It’s not just that I can read faster, but that I can easily skip the dull parts when reading. But the worst thing about podcasts as replacements for text is that they are opaque to search engines — they’re unindexable with current technology (and that is not likely to change soon). And if they become indexable by software engines, then they’ll also become auto-transcribable, and then I won’t mind podcasts because I’ll be able to read (or scan) the transcript. Until then, death to podcasts!

5 odograph January 15, 2006 at 1:27 pm

BTW, as an old computer guy I can mention that usability testing (users as lab rats) shows a great difference between percieved speed and actual speed in computer interaction. This is a big area, but to name one effect, when we interact with our keyboard and mouse we perceive less time passing than when we must simply wait.