We have a winner!

by on May 12, 2006 at 7:15 am in The Arts | Permalink

Thanks to everyone who submitted logos to our contest!  We had 24 entries from all over the world including China, India, and Polynesia.  We really appreciated the creativity, effort and good will towards MR featured in the contest.  After much thought we settled on a great design by Jacob Morse of Volo Creative.  We will use the logo as a link on other web pages and may redesign our banner in a similar style.  We had many great entries, I've featured three of my other favorites in the extension.  Comments are open.
Mrlogomed

From Orlando Ribas:
Marginal2_1

From Abhishek in India.
Mrlogo

From dsr.
Margrevplanet

1 carpundit May 12, 2006 at 8:28 am

It reminds me of another logo I’ve seen, but I can’t quite place it. Something in telecom maybe? Cable TV? Anyone else get that feeling?

I prefer the one designed by Orlando Ribas, but I certainly wish you success with your choice.

2 Richard May 12, 2006 at 8:48 am

I think the one by Mr. Ribas is far superior. However, the winner is good too.

3 mschrist May 12, 2006 at 9:01 am

It looks a bit like the Juno logo.

4 Bob May 12, 2006 at 9:48 am

I hope my marginal revolution curve is upward sloping to the right.

5 jim May 12, 2006 at 10:26 am

I like it; in my mind it will represent the law of demand (that has remained an operationally corroborated LAW for over 200 years, notwithstanding all kinds of mathematically complex, non-operational theories that postulate demand curves that slope upward).

6 caveatBettor May 12, 2006 at 11:31 am

I immediately got the Saturn deja vu

7 Steve May 12, 2006 at 11:42 am

The selection of the winning logo was just a shameless attempt by MR’s
founders to prove their theory that value is truly subjective.
All kidding aside, congratulations to the winner. It’s a beauty.

8 Chairman Mao May 12, 2006 at 12:47 pm

I like the logo. Very modern, very chic, nice color combination.

9 Alex May 12, 2006 at 1:39 pm

I like the logo that you settled on very much. I reminds me of isoquants, isocosts, demand curves etc., but it also calls to mind Edgeworth boxes (interesting contract curve, though). Very nice.

10 Jason May 12, 2006 at 3:32 pm

I think the chosen logo was by far the best of the options shown here. Of course the gradient can be omitted in smaller sizes or where impractical; it’s subliminally attractive in the large size.

11 eddie May 12, 2006 at 4:33 pm

Ribas’ design seems very remniscent of the 1970’s. Was it perhaps inspired by an economics textbook?

Gradient or no, it’s hard to beat the elegance of the Morse design.

Good work by all. Congratulations.

12 Mrs. Blessed May 12, 2006 at 5:22 pm

The Volo Creative one is just gorgeous. Simple, powerful, clean. Nice job.

13 Gordon Mohr May 13, 2006 at 1:30 am

Like the new design/colors. A little evocative of DirecTv/Saturn/Juno but not too much.

One thought: the square/tall-rect presentation isn’t as generally useful in web presentations (like headers and text columns) as a wide-rect. So perhaps these orientations would be better:

[L] Marginal Revolution

or

[L] Marginal
[L] Revolution

I think I’d also prefer a production possibility frontier — choices! tradeoffs! bulging! — to an indifference curve, which looks a little depressing, but it’s nice in any case.

14 chsw May 13, 2006 at 10:48 pm

It looks very similar to the Wachovia logo.

chsw