Strange questions I ask Bryan Caplan

by on June 23, 2006 at 3:06 am in Economics | Permalink

Assuming you start from a multi-dimensional global utility maximum, which Lancastrian characteristics — with non-trivial shadow prices — would you like more of in a corresponding unconstrained equilibrium?

Forget about money or time, which obviously we all want more of.  Which unbundlings do you desire?

I, for one, would like to have more of Bryan.  But he is bundled with Fairfax.  I travel a great deal and he usually stays put.  I can’t get much more of him in my first best outcome.  But if he were suddenly eating kabobs with me in Hyderabad, if only for an hour, how fun that would be.  More generally, I would like to have a less wide circle of friends but my Wanderlust interferes.

I would like taste to be unbundled from calories.  I would like books to be smaller, lighter, and easier to carry, if that were a free lunch so to speak.  I would like fantasy novels to be bound by stricter rules.

What would you like to see unbundled?

Jacqueline June 23, 2006 at 4:29 am

My boyfriend, from some of his lifestyle choices and friends. :)

people at duke June 23, 2006 at 8:02 am

What we need is a bundle of Allen & Sons pork + Bullocks sauce.

Selfreferencing June 23, 2006 at 10:15 am

My top unbundlings:

1. Radical Empiricism and Tyler.
(Tyler’s powers would increase 10-fold.)

2. Fox and Rupert Murdoch
(Think of all the great shows that never would have been cancelled in the first place: The Critic, Family Guy, Futurama … man I hate that guy.)

3. Christianity and the GOP.
(They’d both be better alone.)

4. Rothbard and Paleoism
(Market Anarchism wouldn’t seem so idiosyncratic and subtly racist.)

5. Thomism and Thomists
(Thomism minus its Procrustean, crotchety adherents would be a joy.)

6. Roman Catholicism and Papal Infallibility
(If neither side’s interpretations are infallible, reconciliation is possible.)

7. The Method of Analytic Political Philosophers and Suspicion that Economics is a Science
(Mass Conversion to more libertarian views.)

Noah Yetter June 23, 2006 at 11:51 am

Freedom from responsibility, duh!

utah June 23, 2006 at 1:37 pm

clark durant and his beard.

eliot June 23, 2006 at 4:32 pm

Gender(ed behavior, expectations, appearance, division of labor) from sex(ual proclivities, chromosomes, hormones).

mykle June 24, 2006 at 6:14 am

alcohol from headaches.
guilt from sex.
learning from mistakes.
dumb movies from cool special effects.
wisdom from hair loss.
archy from mehetibel.

Laura December 15, 2006 at 1:17 am

Why is it that when u see all watch
advertisment, the clock is always at
9:50??? I have looked all over the
internet and still can’t find the answer

cathy alaiza April 23, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Libertarian type of politicians for me are closed minded. Although they listen to others opinion, they will just listen to it and leave it to the air. They are not results driven. They only depend on what will happen next. They don’t think on what will happen next.

______________________

cutie_tch123
Put The Message Where It Matters! WideCircles aka Wide Circles represents relevant, distributed, highly targeted and efficient internet word of mouth marketing using entertaining or informative messages that are designed to be passed along in an exponential fashion using social network mediums such as blogs, forums, wikis and so on. http://widecircles.com/a>