Links

by on August 11, 2006 at 11:49 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Electoral advice, backed by statistics: Should Democrats move to the left on economic policy?  No.

2. Do you hoard or delete emails?  What does that say about your personality?  I delete.

3. America’s orchestras have a new recording deal.

1 Peter August 11, 2006 at 11:59 am

And the missing #2 is …?

2 michael vassar August 11, 2006 at 12:45 pm

Why not just switch to g-mail rather than deleting. If you do that, hording has a clear practical function. It’s not like space is practically limited.

3 Foobarista August 11, 2006 at 4:03 pm

I purge most old emails in my personal account, but keep work emails in my work account pretty much forever; I’ll get someone asking about a six month old email fairly frequently.

4 Julie August 11, 2006 at 4:17 pm

The article about e-mail says: “You wouldn’t store your bills inside your mailbox.”
No, you don’t store mail in your mailbox at home, but that’s because a “real” mailbox has limited space and no “search” function.

5 Matt Rognlie August 12, 2006 at 3:20 am

The voting model stuff is interesting, but any model that assumes voters to be completely rational and issue-oriented will come to questionable conclusions. Voters are, after all, usually in agreement with the Democratic side on a majority of issues. Election results, alas, haven’t skewed that way.

6 Slocum August 14, 2006 at 8:18 am

The ‘hoard or delete’ article seems confused — it conflates the difference of getting behind on correspondence and having lots of *unanswered* emails in your inbox vs keeping messages around even after you’ve answered them.

I don’t really get behind, but I do keep everything because, well, why on earth not? Hard disks expand *much* faster than my email accumulates. My email archive (combined with search) is my most effective memory aid.