If you read only one book by Orhan Pamuk

by on October 12, 2006 at 9:34 am in Books | Permalink

The White Castle is short, fun, and Calvinoesque.  Not his best book but an excellent introduction and guaranteed to please.  Snow is deep, political, and captures the nuances of modern Turkey; it is my personal favorite.  The New Life isn’t read often enough; ideally it requires not only a knowledge of Dante, but also a knowledge of how Dante appropriated Islamic theological writings for his own ends.  My Name is Red is a complex detective story, beloved by many, often considered his best, but for me it is a little fluffy behind the machinations.  The Black Book is the one to read last, once you know the others.  Istanbul: Memories and the City is a non-fictional memoir and a knock-out.

1 Jay Hancock October 12, 2006 at 10:57 am

Tyler: You have not only apparently read all these books;
you remember them and can post brief, lucid comments on them
minutes after their author has been anointed. How do you do it?
Please do a post on the Tyler Cowen time budget and how one professor
can teach, blog and consume and digest culinary, literary & cinematic
culture in huge quantities and qualities. Do you do all
this AND keep your house clean?

2 Guest 15 October 12, 2006 at 11:09 am

I second Jay Hancock’s request.

3 nelsonal October 12, 2006 at 12:23 pm

Now I’m hungry for a slider, is there a White Castle within a day’s drive of NoVa?

4 josh October 12, 2006 at 2:33 pm

I have to admit, he could have made all of that stuff up for all I know.

5 Kerim Can October 12, 2006 at 11:19 pm

I read “New Life” and “My Name is Red” in Turkish. I hated the first and loved the second. But then you say New Life requires knowing Dante, and I don’t. So go read Pamuk.

6 Natasha October 13, 2006 at 10:06 am

Much cleaner.

7 timothy October 13, 2006 at 4:41 pm

I read ‘Snow’, thought highly of its fascinating psychological portrayals, but was disappointed by its perspective on the headscarf suicides.

‘Snow’ essentially portrayed the suicides as decisions by young girls to protect what they perceived as their honor + chastity. But from what I’ve read the suicides were largely the result of fundamentalist family members killing young women suspected of having sexual relations (or pressuring them to kill themselves):

*”Batman (pronounced bot-MON) is a grim and dusty city of 250,000 people where religion is clashing with Turkey’s official secularism. The city was featured in the latest novel by the Turkish writer Orhan Pamuk, “Snow,” which chronicled a journalist’s investigation of a suicide epidemic among teenage girls.

In the past six years, there have been 165 suicides or suicide attempts in Batman, 102 of them by women. As many as 36 women have killed themselves since the start of this year, according to the United Nations.

Last month, the United Nations dispatched a special envoy to Turkey to investigate. The envoy, Yakin Erturk, concluded that while some suicides were authentic, others appeared to be “honor killings disguised as a suicide or an accident.”

Until recently, a family member of a dishonored girl, usually a brother younger than 18, would carry out the death sentence and receive a short prison sentence because of his youth. Sentences also were reduced under the defense that a relative had been provoked to commit murder.

But in the past two years, Turkey has revamped its penal code and imposed life sentences for such killings, known as honor killings, regardless of the killer’s age. This has prompted some families to take other steps, such as forcing their daughters to commit suicide or killing them and disguising the deaths as suicides.”*

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/16/world/europe/16turkey.html?ex=1156824000&en=15e9d7104022f5af&a mp;ei=5070

The above isn’t really on Pamuk’s radar in ‘Snow’. A lot of it read as off-topic ruminations on what might be going through young women’s heads if the suicides had been genuinely their choice.

8 Hmeyra November 11, 2006 at 4:11 pm

杭州空调移机|杭州空调拆装|杭州空调安装
杭州开锁公司|杭州开锁
杭州开锁公司|杭州开锁
杭州开锁公司|杭州开锁

10 huojia August 21, 2007 at 3:32 am
11 lemon November 5, 2007 at 2:42 am

最好的翻译公司在上海,涉足高端领域翻译公司。提供口译, 笔译、同声传译等翻译服务。包含英语翻译、日语翻译、韩语翻译等50多个语种的翻译服务。上海翻译公司在学术翻译领域处于领先地位,并且在行业翻译领域如经济翻译、法律翻译、澳大利亚移民的证件翻译颇有建树。
其他的还有tibet travel的旅游翻译。

12 装饰公司 March 9, 2008 at 11:20 am

dsdsdsds

13 不動産投資 July 18, 2008 at 12:57 am

資金を増やそうとするのに不動産投資をするのが手っ取り早い。日本で不動産で東京 賃貸をさがすのはきわめて難しくシステム開発は日本の会社が良い。

14 MCSE October 23, 2008 at 2:34 am

thanks!

15 翻译公司 January 7, 2009 at 10:34 pm

It’s very good!

16 翻译公司 January 12, 2009 at 8:54 pm

This translation companies with tsinghua university of self-empowerment, generous as tradition, with “customer first” as the guiding ideology, providing customers with the most thoughtful and most professional translation service, high quality and low price, with efficient service will make you satisfied

17 速译 January 14, 2009 at 9:34 pm

Ramada translation companies with “sincere service for clients” as the objective, including English, Russian, German, Japanese, Korean, French, Spanish, Arabic, Italian, and small language translation service, and the practice with some famous translation companies, complementary, mutual benefit and common progress, improving the level of translation translation

18 晴空缘梦 January 16, 2009 at 2:49 am

她气愤地说:“你白痴啊你!†
   女孩第四次问我:“你帅吗?†
   我说:“你看着办吧。†
   回应的是五个翻译火辣辣的手指印。
   她气愤地说:“没主见啊你!†

19 Tibia Gold June 8, 2009 at 2:27 am

Tibia Gold and the game I have played for about 3 years. You should compensate him by giving him some Tibia coins; you have to lure a handful of monsters with Tibia money so that switching between them can be easier. There are many benefits to guild in tibia gp. When you join in Tibia Platinum, it is not still deal high amounts of damage.

20 sro gold June 14, 2009 at 11:24 pm

It is a very nice game silkroad gold, I like sro gold. You can play it silkroad online gold, you can buy the cheap silk road gold. You smart and buy cheap silkroad gold.

21 Pirates of the Burning Sea Gold June 15, 2009 at 1:43 am

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some Pirates of the Burning Sea Gold,he usually can win a lot of potbs gold,then he let his friends all have some potbs Doubloon,his friends thank him very much for introducing them the potbs money,they usually buy potbs Doubloon together.

22 buy sof gold June 21, 2009 at 9:14 pm

After separate for one year, I can not leave you, leave Scions Of Fate gold . Now I buy SOF gold again, I do not want to leave you, but at that time, I have no idea. Buy Scions Of Fate money is the thing I want to do for long time. I know that cheap SOF gold is your life. So I will try my best and do not let you pass away. In my mind, I think I buy sof gold is the fate.

23 Metin2 gold June 22, 2009 at 3:13 am

I am so happy to get some Metin2 gold and the Metin2 yang is given by my close friend who tells me that the Cheap metin2 yang is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should Cheap metin2 gold with the spare money and I gain some Buy metin2 gold from other players.