Assorted links

by on January 17, 2007 at 11:18 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Why we procrastinate — we are not sure we can do the job

2. Methods of visualization

3. Oddhead, a new blog on information and prediction markets, via Chris Masse

4. How sound affects what we see

5. Last year Britons gave over $660 million to Nigerian-style scans, from Harpers Index, February issue.

6. John Tierney has a NYT blog, gated for many of you.

1 Jason Voorhees January 17, 2007 at 11:24 am

Wow. A gated blog. What a genius idea! Make me pay something to read a blog. Why hasn’t someone thought of this before? Oh yeah, now I remember. Because it’s stupid.

Why not have a NYT blog that’s non-gated linking or summarizing gated material? At least that would keep people interested in NYT material enough to push traffic there.

2 Vikram January 17, 2007 at 12:27 pm

This is just to voice my admiration of the huge amount of reading you and Alex seem to able to get done daily. I wish I had paid more attention to improving reading comprehension while still young.

P.s. I didn’t think anyone ever responded to the Nigerian scams, until last week when my sister (!) actually responded to one, and even got a reply, where the imposter attached a (get this!) picture of his passport to authenticate himself! Anyways, I’ve asked my sis to not go for this $20 million…

3 tmex12 January 17, 2007 at 4:26 pm

The amount of money supposedly made from the Nigerian scam is grossly inflated. What is the source? Who is reporting? I am Nigerian, definitely cant see the effect of “all that money” in the system.

4 Roger Sweeny January 17, 2007 at 5:45 pm

I’m sure this sounds simplistic, but if you don’t want to do something, isn’t there something pleasurable in not doing it?

5 hoojk December 2, 2007 at 10:51 pm
6 acekard ds February 16, 2010 at 12:08 am

Usually we put off stuff because we think doing it will be more painful than just putting it off. That is until the thoughts about the painful consequences of inaction get our butts in gear (e.g. walking into class without a paper or not passing a class and having to repeat it). Just tell yourself you’ll work on it for 3 minutes and then really do it for that time period. Once you get started you build momentum that keeps you rolling.