Markets in everything, plain stupidity edition

by on January 21, 2007 at 7:01 am in Economics | Permalink

KUMHO Tire USA…December 21, 2006…announces the introduction of the world’s first fragrance automotive tire, the ECSTA DX.
The project is the “fruition” of more than a year’s worth of research
and development to deliver an alluring aroma tire that replaces the
normal “black rubber” smell with heat-resistant oils in the scent of
lavender, and in later versions, neroli (orange) or jasmine.  Visitors
to www.kumhotireusa.com [product is here] can find the nearest Discount Tire store or TireRack.com will ship them for installation.

Here is a link.  Here are more sources.  Thanks to Natasha for the pointer.  I guess it matters if you are run over by the car…

Sameer Parekh January 21, 2007 at 8:37 am

Haha, this is funny. One would think that the market of people who actually smell their tires on a regular basis (racers, rice rocket owners, drifters, sideshow-types, street racers, etc.) enjoy the smell of rubber, so there would be no market for a tire that doesn’t smell right. Perhaps the drifter/rice-rocket community wants to impress, so they would like lavender smelling tires. There has been a market for tires that burnout in multiple colors, not just white.

EclectEcon January 21, 2007 at 11:07 am

I don’t know…. Every time I go into the garage, I might be happier if the tires smelled of lavender or potpourri instead of black rubber. But a cheaper way to get that effect might be to put a plug-in air freshener in the garage.

And what about the guys who work in tire stores? Maybe they’d like something different?

Ceteris paribus (i.e. at the same quality and price), it might be a good marketing tool for some customers.

lee January 21, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Thanks. I was thinking “how stupid” until you mentioned getting run over!

Sameer Jain January 21, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Yeah, I bet the rice-rocket and hiphop communities will buy these in droves. With scents like lavender, neroli, and jasmine, your streed cred will go nowhere but up.

ChristianCB January 22, 2007 at 3:27 am

Kuhmo makes a good tire for the price; they hold up well in comparisions with more expensive brands.

-Chris

lee January 22, 2007 at 12:35 pm

Yesterday I saw a car with a red interior and everything on the exterior was red except the tires. Soon I predict we will see colored tires–red first probably.