Markets in everything, China edition

by on February 19, 2007 at 4:22 pm in Food and Drink | Permalink

It’s the sort of place where a group of people will battle to save cats being made into meatballs or hats, but you can pay $75 to feed a sheep to a tiger. (This clip could be a little much for sensitive folk.) [TC: please don’t watch, I didn’t]

Here is the link, the pointer is from Yan Li.

Timothy February 19, 2007 at 5:06 pm

I watched, it was pretty much like any old nature video. Small animal, large carnivore, surprisingly little blood.

Jason Voorhees February 19, 2007 at 5:28 pm

That was mild compared to anything on the Discovery channel. The sheep’s death appears to happen almost instantly, if his limp body in the tiger’s mouth means that. I’m assuming his teeth puncture something pretty important immediately.

Viscus February 19, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Hunting animals is something that tigers do. Typically, they will capture those that are most weak or vulnerable, while stronger specimens will survive.

This case is a lot different. Here we have a specific sheep selected to be tiger food, apparently without regard to its individual fitness, and released for the amusement of these tourists.

Of course, if you are going to keep tigers, you are going to have to feed them. But, I think a more ideal situation would be for them to somehow hunt their own food in a way such that no particular animal is selected for slaughter with no chance whatsoever and without regard to its individual fitness. Maybe that isn’t practical, but would be better.

BillWallace February 19, 2007 at 8:44 pm

SOP for big cats is to snap the spinal cord at the neck which is instant death. Quite clean and tidy, as you would expect from a cat.

The Tsunami February 20, 2007 at 12:27 am

and how is a tiger getting its dinner any different from lamb chops or mutton biryani?

pjgoober February 20, 2007 at 8:41 am

Thank you for the video link, TC. I took your advice and didn’t watch it, but I appreciate you giving me the option to. Some animal rights people already have decided this is cruel, and a little detail like what exactly happens during this event is of no concern to them. Other (thoughtful) ones may want to be informed to the fullest possible before they go marching off boycotting and protesting.

kc February 20, 2007 at 12:57 pm

I didn’t watch the clip, but I’ve seen one from the same place taken by a friend who visited a few years ago when we were studying in Beijing. What got me about that clip was the Chinese tourists (of all ages) were laughing while the goat was being eaten. The Chinese also tended to laugh a lot when talking about others committing suicide. The insensitivity to death is one thing I’ve never been able to understand about their culture.

As far as market in everything goes, you can also buy a fractional share of a cow to feed the tigers, which are kept quite hungry so as to minimize the risk of them not putting on a show when they are fed.

meijin February 21, 2007 at 4:01 am

This post somehow made me recall watching a bullfight on TV. It took that humankind several times to stab the right part to put the poor animal to instant death. I still remember how dignified that humankind dressed and behaved himself.

Murphy February 22, 2007 at 3:40 pm

That was not at all overly graphic. And I agree with the posts that the death was quick and relatively painless. TC, you need to read more about what goes on in US slaughterhouses today. That sheep died more quickly with less pain and less fear than a sheep in a US slaughterhouse. SO the next time I see you Bombay Bistro, I assume you are ordering vegetarian?

jad games February 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm