Assorted links

2. Profile of Chilean writer Roberto Bolaño

3. Markets in everything: durians that don’t smell

4. Virginia Postrel’s next book, on glamour, an outline

5. It seems that fascist Lawrence Dennis was actually black

6. History’s 100 most influential people, as selected by the Japanese

michael vassar April 9, 2007 at 1:19 pm

the japanese list is hilarious. no ancient greeks. napoleon #2 and caesar 43?! and of course, majority Japanese.

joan April 9, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Elvis Presley is ranked as more important than Galileo. If not for the Japanese names on the list, you might think it was US teenagers.

TerriW April 9, 2007 at 2:04 pm

How could you not love a list where Bruce Lee just edges out DaVinci?

Jack April 9, 2007 at 2:23 pm

Note, the title is “Histories 100 Most Influential people: Hero Edition.”

I repeat, “Hero Edition.” Tyler Cowen’s characterization is a little misleading.

Shaun April 9, 2007 at 3:34 pm

52: Freddie Mercury – HAHAHAHA, even if it is a ‘hero’ edition, that’s still hilarious.

jp April 9, 2007 at 4:14 pm

From the durian article: “’To anyone who doesn’t like durian it smells like a bunch of dead cats,’ said Bob Halliday, a food writer in based Bangkok. ‘But as you get to appreciate durian, the smell is not offensive at all. It’s attractive. It makes you drool like a mastiff.’†

That sounds like something Proust would have said about … something else … if Proust weren’t gay.

Jonathan April 9, 2007 at 5:18 pm

Re: Classical music. At least one part of the accompanying blog post is highly misleading. In 1990, cassette sales were higher than CD sales… and cassettes have dwindled to almost nothing
1990 CD+Cassette Sales: 728.7 x .031 = 22.6 million
2005 CD+Cassette Sales: 707.9 x .024 = 17.0 million

Adding back in iTunes won’t help.

happyjuggler0 April 9, 2007 at 8:35 pm

I agree with the Freddy Mercury line, I got a kick out of that.

At least they picked Teddy over FDR, who didn’t make the cut.

lee April 9, 2007 at 9:27 pm

I expected the list to be different from Michael S. Hart’s “The 100 Most Influential People,” but I thought Hart made a good case for his No.1–Mohammed. I am surprised that Mohammed didn’t make the list at all.

__earth April 10, 2007 at 2:22 am

un-smelly durians are for wimps!

Jason Malloy April 10, 2007 at 5:05 am

My experience with the durian was that its infamous smell, as well as its compensatory deliciousness, are both greatly exaggerated. OTOH, my traveling associates were quite clamorous about the aroma of my snack, so perhaps I am just unique.

32rrfrtg October 8, 2007 at 1:57 am
cheap requiem lant December 31, 2008 at 2:05 am

Please come to requiem lant, we will give you a great surprise.