Markets in everything

by on May 4, 2007 at 5:45 pm in Food and Drink | Permalink

Mexican coke at the Costco, at least in San Francisco.  This superior product is made with cane sugar, not that junky syrup.  The pointer is from Jason Kottke.  Only 75 cents per bottle.  Here is another post on Mexican coke.

Noah Yetter May 4, 2007 at 6:07 pm

I just fell out of my chair. I would buy a Costco membership just for this in a heartbeat. The last time I got some off the internet I paid around $2.60 a bottle…

Dave May 4, 2007 at 7:00 pm

I prefer Colombian or Bolivian coke, personally.

Darren May 4, 2007 at 9:14 pm

Yeah, what Paul N said. Always stock up on kosher for Passover Coke. It has real sugar.

John Pertz May 4, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Kinda makes you wonder why Coke wont just sell the product with real sugar in the states? If this many people are going to such great lengths to get Coke with real sugar then what is stopping Coca Cola from moving away from high fructose corn syrup? Why drink something that tastes worse and is worse for you?
BTW, when I go to Italy or France, are those coke products made with real sugar or are they just like the U.S version?

T.Wd May 5, 2007 at 12:36 am

Canadian pops used to be all sugar as well but it is slowly shifting over. According to the label on our Coke it could be either or both. But I get tons of requests south of the border from friends for our Coke, juice pigs and cherry sours. Canadian SCA folks often bring Coke across the border to events for the Americans.
Isn’t RC Cola in Atlanta still cane sugar?

John S. May 5, 2007 at 3:46 am

Perhaps with ethanol producers driving up the price of corn, American soft drink producers will soon find it more economical to use real sugar than corn syrup.

Sandy P May 5, 2007 at 10:39 am

You can order Dr. Pepper w/sugar from the original bottling plant near Waco.

It’s smoother, doesn’t have the bite.

As to sugar, until we can get rid of the domestic subsidies, forget it.

Chris Meisenzahl May 6, 2007 at 7:58 am
T.W May 6, 2007 at 4:43 pm

I guess this just shows the beloved goal of product homogeneity industry loves so much is not possible unless you have a single point of origin for production which isn’t going to happen in the global market and desperate scrambles for that next decimal place of profit. But yeash the home market version of the product being inferior to everyone else’s sucks.

rvman May 7, 2007 at 11:08 am

I bought cane sugar Dr Pepper at my local Wal-Mart a couple of days ago. Not much more expensive than the normal kind – $6.79 for 12 16 oz cans vs. about that same price for 24 12 oz cans with corn syrup. It isn’t Dublin DP, either – it is labeled with the standard-issue “Coca-Cola Bottling Company” bottler that most Texas-based DP has. It wouldn’t be too hard for Coke to do the same, given that at least one of their own bottlers can do it for DP.

Noah Yetter May 7, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Shawna, I know it’s sugar because I can taste it! In fact I don’t even need to drink a drop, I can smell the difference between corn syrup and sugar colas.

John Wardlaw June 4, 2007 at 5:35 pm

Mexico coke is now in the Wallmart in Oxnard California. I talked to a representative at Coke and they told me coke is doing test marketing to see how well it sells. It seems the price of corn syrup is going up with ethanol and such. Plus genetically modified HFCS is getting a bad rap as well as the news that corn syrup is more fattening than sugar (even when the “sugars” in the carbohydrates are the same.

Sugar coke tastes so much better I can’t believe it. I was buying it in sacramento (when I drove thru as I don’t live there) up until 2005 when the licence came up and coke FORCED them to switch over. They told me the cost of the sugar vs the corn syrup wasn’t ever a factor and they never raised the price.

I recently started Justsugar.com. I have not done much with it yet as I don’t have the time, but I want to point out to people all the products that have corn syrup in them. From bread to tomato soup. Even ice cream tastes better with sugar.

It’s funny. America created an icon with coke, but we have the worst tasting coke in the world. Kind of like Hersheys chococlate, just buy and australian cadbury and you never want to go back.