Manhattan Without Us

by on June 28, 2007 at 6:04 pm in Science | Permalink

Even on a clear, sunny day, the people who keep the subway going have to pump 13 million gallons of water away.  Otherwise the tunnels start to flood.

That is from the July 2007 Scientific American, drawing upon Alan Weisman’s The World Without Us; I have pre-ordered my copy and I am waiting for his secret blog.

Dennis Mangan June 29, 2007 at 12:45 am

Actually it sounds like the typical environmentalist “I hate human beings” rant.

methinks June 29, 2007 at 11:37 am

Can you give some examples of ‘typical environmentalists’ who think that?

How about these guys?

fustercluck June 29, 2007 at 1:16 pm

How about these guys?

Ummm…what?!

The conclusion drawn by the author of this article is:

“…population growth is a sign of God’s blessing. Message to 1990′s Christians: subdue, multiply and fill the earth as our Lord has commanded.”

Of course this message is implicitly directed to his reader base only, as this nutter wants a planet filled with Christians.

I loved this little gem:

“Environmentalists and population-control advocates share a fundamental premise: fewer people would make for a better world. They are both implicitly pro-death.”

Brilliant!

fustercluck June 29, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Many? That’s a strong, if ambiguous, statment, and is probably incorrect regardless.

Some? Yes – and I agree that these people are wackos.

Methinks June 29, 2007 at 5:02 pm

Sorry, fustercluck. That article came up at the top of my google search for the anti-human environmentalists and I only read the first bit that quoted the environmentalists calling humans a “cancer”. I figured they were a pretty good example of the anti-human enviro crowd but I did not read down to the “God’s blessing” bit and I don’t know what else the article was about. The article wasn’t the point, in other words.

anonYmouse June 30, 2007 at 6:23 am

Matthew

I really don’t see that ‘this is a logical consequence of what environmentalists believe’.

That’s why I am asking for cites of environmentalists who believe that.

Even environmentalists who believe in population control tend to do so because of a concern for the effects of human activity on *future* generations.

I would tend to view environmentalists as people who believe that our discount rate should be quite low, and future generations matter as much as we do. And that we should avoid making permanent choices for them (eg to extinct a species, or develop a wilderness area) that they will not be able to reverse.

Anonymous July 6, 2007 at 10:11 pm

“Can you give some examples of ‘typical environmentalists’ who think that?”

Consider these, gleened from the Who’s Who of Environmentalism:

“Quotes from Prominent Environmentalists” http://right-mind.us/blogs/blog_0/archive/2007/07/03/52889.aspx