A Year Without Chinese Goods

by on July 2, 2007 at 7:18 pm in Books | Permalink

Sara Bongiorni and her family attempted to live without goods made in
China for a year, and found that it was no simple task.  She has
documented the project in a book called, A Year Without ‘Made in China.

In a book?  A printed book?  You mean the kind of book that is made out of um…paper and ink?  Good luck Sara, I love you but for at least a year — maybe more — I won’t be reading any Chinese goods you try to send my way…

Here is the link.

1 Affe July 2, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Bet these guys wish they could go a year without China:

2 zlguocius July 2, 2007 at 10:23 pm

Cute. But “invented by the X-ese” is not the same as “made in X”.

3 Dan Hill July 3, 2007 at 12:25 am

Those rotten Chinese. Trying to sell us stuff they made. Let them starve. Everyone knows Chinese people don’t deserve to make a living.

4 ivan July 3, 2007 at 8:01 am

If you buy a product “made in China”, do you really buy a Chinese product? According the the BIS Annual Report, Chinese exports have a high import content and thus China‚Äôs value added is correspondingly low. Indeed, 70% of Chinese imports consist of intermediate goods bought from the rest of Asia and from japan. These goods are integrated in the final products sold to the United States and Europe. For example, a doll “made in China” sold for $ 20 in the United States contains only 35 cents of value added by Chinese labour. So I ask again, does the label “made in China” really means that the product is Chinese? Made in the World would be a better label if you ask me.

5 Jacqueline July 3, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Wow, never expected to see a book glorifying racism to be so popular.

6 happyjuggler0 July 3, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Jodi N Beggs,

Thanks. It is amazing how many people don’t realize the price lowering effect that imports have on domestically made substitutes. If everyone chose to have a year without China then it would be a lot more expensive of an experiment, noting experiment is a euphemism here for naked attempt to get rich writing a book that takes advantage of xenophobic/racist and ignorant nativism in a large segment of today’s America.

7 odograph July 4, 2007 at 10:46 am

P.S. – as a reminder of who I am, I support market economies with the minimum required oversight and regulation. I don’t just jerk my knee and say that “minimum” is “none” in a given domain without rational investigation. Think “Grover Norquist” and you’ve got my antithesis.

8 fustercluck July 4, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Last I checked, Chinese isn’t a race. Unless the book suggested boycotting all Asian products specifically because they are assembled by Asians (versus cheap imports being deleterious for American workers, for example), that isn’t racist either.

Also, Dan Hill was being sarcastic.

9 kaz4541 February 7, 2010 at 9:27 am

Bongiorni is definitely a racist, but unfortunately Bongiorni is what a lot of Americans are, and that is racist. Most people see America for its Hollywood films, not for its dark and nasty side. Countries like China, Korea, and Iran get the bad deal. People seem to hate these countries, yet really know nothing about them. I think what America does best is to promote hatred of others so that no one focuses on what they do. I can go a year, and a decade without ever buying anything from America, because they don’t make anything I need. It’s funny how America goes around the world killing people in the name of capitalism, forcing them to open up to the free market. Now that China has opened up to the free market and allowed capitalism, the Americans are once again complaining about that. China does not only make cheap products, but also Volkswagen cars, Sony laptops, and Nokia N95 phones. If you can make it, why can’t they? China has had a 5000 year history, and being at the top of the world for thousands of years. China was 1000 years ahead of Europe. America has been around for 200 yrs, and only powerful in the past 50, and they want to be arrogant about that? Please. The Chinese make their money based on hard work and innovation, while Americans make their money through force, intimidation, cheating, and lies.