Black markets in everything

by on March 24, 2008 at 3:45 pm in Education | Permalink

With candy sales banned on school campuses, sugar pushers are the
latest trend at local schools. Backpacks are filled with Snickers and
Twinkees for all sweet tooths willing to pay the price.  "It’s created a little underground economy, with businessmen
selling everything from a pack of skittles to an energy drink,” said
Jim Nason, principal at Hook Junior High School in Victorville.

Here is more, with a thanks to Eric Nielsen for the link.  I would put it this way: school kids are more economically advanced than astronauts.

Joel W March 24, 2008 at 3:55 pm

Maybe they learned from Randy on The Wire: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Wagstaff

The lil hopper who slang candy.

AZ March 24, 2008 at 4:00 pm

South Park did it! Cartman was sent to fat camp and would sell snacks to all the kids in camp after hours.

As for me, I just used to use my reduced lunch fare to buy at the reduced price and sell at some price less than the market price. Wait, is that not what was intended by the policy?

Christopher Monnier March 24, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Actually, I wonder if incidents of violence will increase at schools that institute such a ban. Crime went up during [alcohol] Prohibition and drug prohibition; why not during candy prohibition? Seriously, I’m very interested to see if this is true.

MostlyAPragmatist March 24, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Another unintended consequence: Gov. Schwarzenegger pushed for this legislation to pass. The backlash will create a generation of libertarian-minded children and drive them away from the Republican party and into the arms of the Democratic party.

mobile March 24, 2008 at 4:40 pm

I, too, resold gum at school at a 400% markup in eighth grade to support my video game habit.

john pertz March 24, 2008 at 5:56 pm

How long till we hear calls for the “War on Candy” and the C.E.A? Sorry I could not resist.

Jacqueline March 24, 2008 at 7:41 pm

What a great educational experience for them!

Bill Stepp March 24, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Following on John Pertz’s zingers, what about a Cali candy cartel? How long until Uncle Sam will be bombing sugar cane fields in Central America? Can it grow in Afghanistan, so that the Taliban can diversify from poppy seeds into … the new heroin, candy?
The first Bill Clinton didn’t inhale; the next one might not suck. Or maybe he will, politically at least.

shecky March 24, 2008 at 10:31 pm

Way back when, a buddy of mine was always hustling something in school. Candy, jerky, novelty pens, anything that would sell. This was in the early 80s, at a Catholic high school. He funded a fancy clothing habit that way. He did get caught on a couple occasions, had candy confiscated. ISTR he was compelled to give up that day’s earnings to the chapel fund or some such thing. But it never stopped him altogether.

Tom March 25, 2008 at 9:19 am

“The backlash will create a generation of libertarian-minded children and drive them away from the Republican party and into the arms of the Democratic party.”

Out of the pan and into the fire, huh? I doubt it.

I do agree with the first part of your statement, though.

Lawrence March 25, 2008 at 11:21 am

Or are we teaching our children to mimic lower primate behavior? (both left and right side politics seem interested in seeing these outcomes made real).

Based on certain studies done by certain economic institutes (laughing), it sounds like they are mimicking the “rational” behavior of lower primates, and moving away from traditionally more advanced higher modeling/signaling primate (us) “irrational” behaviors?

And of course a modern economic prof would view lower primate behavior to be more “rational” than the behavior of primates capable of leaving their planet.

Interesting juxtapositions, all in all.

I’ll stick with primates capable of reaching space, and give up king rat philosophies of the lower primates.

But that’s just me. I like heated water. Something the “rational” primates haven’t managed to achieve yet. (snicker)

Dave March 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm

Imagine: a reprimand from a principal for running a candy ring might become *the* invaluable reference letter needed to get into top-tier B-schools.

Supposedly, the first interview question for those interviewing for entry-level trader jobs at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange/Chicago Board of Options Exchange is “Did you run the football pool in high school?”