Markets in everything

by on May 28, 2008 at 12:33 pm in Food and Drink | Permalink

French fry tempura; that’s in case they didn’t fry them right the first time around.  You might find it in the food basement of a Takeshimaya department store.

The "sushi pizza" (melted cheese on your sushi) is also delicious and it is served in very good restaurants.

Did I mention that Japan has arguably the world’s best baked desserts?

Franklin Harris May 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm

I think the Japanese actually invented markets in everything. At least I tell myself that whenever I reflect on the fact that they sell pre-worn girls’ panties in vending machines.

Grant May 28, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Sushi pizza is served in some American sushi restaurants too. IMO, its consistently under-ordered by most patrons.

RW Rogers May 28, 2008 at 3:55 pm

And the portions served are appropriately sized, too.

JH May 28, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Didn’t Tyler warn against Eastern desserts for the Western palate in Discover? (Does the “baked” qualifier change the recommendation?)

JasonL May 28, 2008 at 5:59 pm

When in Japan, check the nicer hotels for an upcoming ‘cakee viking’. For whatever reason, they use ‘viking’ to mean ‘buffet’. Periodically, there will be a cake tasting event in certain hotels and hotspots. In Osaka, there used to be one in the Miyako Hotel every so often. Yum.

Sanjay May 29, 2008 at 11:25 am

Uh, they have to fry them twice anyway…

JasonL May 30, 2008 at 11:45 am

“On the baked desserts here, go French all the way. The Japanese desserts still don’t thrill me, too much sweet bean paste.”

In my first month in Japan, I went to one of those chain norweigian bakeries, wanting a bit of sweet bread of some sort. The bean paste is pronounced “anco” with the “a” as in “car”. With the sloppy vowel usage I came by honestly here in KY, I ordered sans “unco”.

Not getting the joke at first, I eventually unravelled that “unco” is “shit”. Word to the wise. I’m not a fan, but if you really like sweet bean paste, you will want to have pronunciation down cold before ordering extra.

Free Jar Games Download|Free Jad Jar Games|Jar Games For Mobiles December 24, 2009 at 2:06 pm

The linked article says nothing about “french fry tempura”. It mentions frying french fries twice – a method you can find on display at your local McDonalds, or anywhere else in the world that serves fries. Any decent cookbook, including the ones that come with countertop deep fryers, will tell you to fry them twice.