My favorite song

by on June 25, 2008 at 7:56 am in Music | Permalink

Ever, with explanation and the MP3 link on the left.  And here are the lyrics.

Addendum: The guy actually has the best practical idea I’ve heard yet for your time travel trip back to 1000 A.D.  If you have a decent voice, use the catalog of the Beatles and others to become the greatest minstrel the world has seen.  It’s the low capital costs and low cooperation requirements that make the idea so appealing.

Speedmaster June 25, 2008 at 8:06 am

No Bay City Rollers?! ;-)

David June 25, 2008 at 8:42 am

See, now this is why we need that sociability drug.

Constant June 25, 2008 at 9:21 am

Just be careful with some of the lyrics, e.g. “Imagine.”

Imagine there’s no heaven
It’s easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky

Sugar Fix June 25, 2008 at 10:20 am

Tyler, thanks so much for the nice words about the song I wrote.

To give credit where credit is due… I should point out that the Beatles idea came from one of the commenters:

“I would try to make some money by singing Beatles songs or something in the town center until I could afford the 1000 A.D equivalent of a guitar. I would then (try to) attract the attention of the folk by playing the few songs I know. I would start a band with a drummer, pipe player and any other musical instruments available at the time. We would play at functions and taverns. When I had enough money, I would buy my own performance hall. I would have concerts and stage performances of modern day films like Star Wars, Reservoir Dogs and Dawn of the Dead (tailored to fit the era).”

In fact, my intention was to really represent the thread. I really tried to show the back and forth of the commenters as best I could throughout the lyrics. Unfortunately, pop songs don’t give you much room to cover all the ground covered by the discussion.

Thanks again for the nice post. :)

Dan Lewis June 25, 2008 at 10:48 am

I’d love to see your list of other (practical) ideas for becoming incredibly wealthy if one could travel back in time.

Interestingly, I’m pretty sure that most of us *wouldn’t* travel back too far if we couldn’t also return to our present-day lives. Being filthy rich in 1000 A.D. still means not having the ability to buy, say, indoor plumbing. Even going back to 1995 means no TiVo, expensive broadband, and junky cell phones. Me? I’d probably just go back to January, spend six weeks collecting as much capital as I could, bulking up on margin and shorting the hell out of Bear Stearns.

Tony June 25, 2008 at 11:43 am

wasn’t that the plot to an episode of the awful UK sitcom – goodnight sweetheart?

Steven June 25, 2008 at 3:00 pm

“1000 AD English isn’t the same as our English. That’s before the great vowel shift, among other things. Remember Chaucer? And that’s practically modern compared to 1000 AD. You can get by, probably, as an English speaker in 1000 AD, but you have no chance, none, of being a minstrel/poet/whatever.”

This is correct, but understates the case. An Old English speaker would find a modern poem/song too alien to be recognized as such, even ignoring issues of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.

Old English poems used (1) alliteration rather than rhyme and (2) lifts and drops rather than stressed and unstressed syllables.

Example Old English poem: The Battle of Maldon, composed shortly after the battle in 991 AD.

Chapter on meter from “Introduction to Old English.”

Douglas Fletcher June 25, 2008 at 7:52 pm

“The guy actually has the best practical idea I’ve heard yet for your time travel trip back to 1000 A.D.”

I’ve known probably five people (besides myself) who’ve thought of that idea, not going back as far as 1000 AD though. I think it’s actually a fairly common thought.

Don’t know why you’d want to go back to 1000 AD anyway. I get the impression the food was pretty awful back then.

johnleemk June 26, 2008 at 2:54 am

I’m a bit shocked nobody has mentioned this yet:

Sugar Fix June 26, 2008 at 11:36 am

@JB: Thanks! And on the Star Wars tip… that’s why I put in the lines about Luke being Jesus and Leia as Mary Magdalene. I was trying to convey that I would adapt modern popular culture for the time. Movies, Beatles songs, etc. Not sure it came through tho given some of the comments. ;)

WillJ July 29, 2008 at 1:06 pm

“An Old English speaker would find a modern poem/song too alien to be recognized as such, even ignoring issues of vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation.”

Well, if the movie “Black Knight” starring Martin Lawrence is any indication, the medieval English are quite receptive to hip hop.

online games May 10, 2009 at 1:52 am

I think you underestimate your abilities. People emigrate all the time to countries where they don’t speak the language and they do just fine, and Old English is probably easier to pick up if you already know Modern English.

Bird toys March 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm