Assorted links

by on October 8, 2008 at 11:06 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Filipino food is better than you think.

2. Real life mast tying from Google.

3. Betting market on the economics Nobel Prize.

4. Markets in everything: a lego doppelganger of your beloved.  Only $60K.

5. What is an economist worth?

6. Heroes of capitalism, a new blog.

I thank a variety of MR readers for the pointers.

Gary October 8, 2008 at 11:25 am

As many Filipinos as I’ve met traveling around Asia, I’ve seen very few Filipino restaurants, which always surprised me. Filipino food is not that spicy and they use forks, which would make it much more approachable for westerners.

The worst hamburger I ever ate was at a Jollibees in Manila.

Yan Li October 8, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Filipino food is perhaps the only asian food I do not care for a second serving. After tasting the food, it is relatively easy to opt for pizza or pasta. I feel so bad for admitting this. Filipino people are beautiful, arts are good, why can’t they do something about their cuisine? Is it because they have many asian cuisine substitutes available, which reduces the pressure for innovation?

Cyril Morong October 8, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Sorry, it should just be Dwight Lee, not Dwight Lee Allen

sd October 8, 2008 at 12:50 pm

“Heroes of capitalism” is an oxymoron, as capitalism is an anti-heroic doctrine by nature. One of the main differences between “capitalism” and other modes of social organization is that it puts “markets” and “emergent orders” at its core, rather than rely on “heroes” or “philosopher kings” to drive it or guide its path. A successful capitalist is not a “hero” – he is merely the product of the (self interested) actions of other market participants.

Capitalism makes fame and fortune possible, but individual entrepreneurs do not “make capitalism happen” through some “heroic” act.

If that sounds negative, look at it this way: we’re all heroes of capitalism!

odograph October 8, 2008 at 1:19 pm

I had been to … was it The Green Papaya? … in Tustin CA, and was impressed. It’s closed though. The OC Filipino food that I know of now tends to be steam trays in Filipino markets … pointers?

Barkley Rosser October 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm

I should not do this, but I cannot resist.
If the prize goes to the top candidate of the
prediction market, it would be going to the least
deserving of those listed. His most famous idea
is simply wrong.

Steve Sailer October 8, 2008 at 3:50 pm

As a refreshing change this year, wouldn’t it be a good idea to, rather than give out a new Nobel in Economics, instead take back one of the bad Economics Nobels of the past?

Critic October 8, 2008 at 5:34 pm

French food is better than you think. Really.

Ricardo October 8, 2008 at 11:14 pm

As for Filipino food, aside from chicken and pork adobo, definitely try the Filipino version of chicken or pork BBQ. Otherwise, especially for people who like other Asian cuisines, give “Bicol Express” a try. It’s a spicy curry made with pork and vegetables cooked in coconut milk.