Atlas Shrugged – Updated

by on November 26, 2008 at 11:01 am in The Arts | Permalink

"Damn it, Dagny! I need the government to get out of the way and let me do my job!"

She sat across the desk from him. She appeared casual but confident, a slim body with rounded shoulders like an exquisitely engineered truss. How he hated his debased need for her, he who loathed self-sacrifice but would give up everything he valued to get in her pants … Did she know?

"I heard the thugs in Washington were trying to take your Rearden metal at the point of a gun," she said. "Don’t let them, Hank. With your advanced alloy and my high-tech railroad, we’ll revitalize our country’s failing infrastructure and make big, virtuous profits."

"Oh, no, I got out of that suckers’ game. I now run my own hedge-fund firm, Rearden Capital Management."

"What?"

The story, which is awesome, continues here.  A big hat tip to Phil Izzo at WSJ’s Real Time Economics.

John Goodman November 26, 2008 at 11:17 am

A total sacrilege. But still funny.

mickslam November 26, 2008 at 11:24 am

It’s only funny because it’s true!

We have created an economy where an overly large amount of the hardest working and smart people go into finance and not business or engineering.

This is an unsustainable economy.

ryan November 26, 2008 at 1:03 pm

Extremely amusing. Thank you.

steve p November 26, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Wow. This is the funniest thing I’ve read so far this week. Unfortunately, MR is probably the only blog on the internet with a readership that would get it.

meter November 26, 2008 at 2:09 pm

“Galt went on like this for what seemed to Dagny like hours…”

If only that brief.

djg November 26, 2008 at 3:01 pm

Welcome to the post-industrial economy.

Kat November 26, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Hah, great. The problem with stuff like this is that most of my friends who would enjoy this story have already followed the link from this post!

FFXI gold January 1, 2009 at 8:09 pm

In this way, you can buy and gain very cheap FFXI gold.

cheap aion money May 12, 2009 at 10:16 pm

It is an interesting story~!

aion gold May 12, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I think something it is better write the truth to tell all the readers