Markets in everything: Boxing Day edition

by on December 17, 2008 at 11:45 am in Television | Permalink

After years of petty arguments over who gets the prime position in front of the television, West Yorkshire grandmother Bev Stewart was so sick of the Boxing Day sibling squabbles and infighting among her 25 family members, that she auctioned the front-row seat on eBay.

She claimed on the ebay advert that the prime position in her Stockbridge home was “a very comfy and popular item” before opening the auction to all members of her fractious family.

…Nanna Stewart’s daughter-in-law Alexis won the auction with her £13.50, outbidding the 17 other family rivals. Alexis is likely to share the coveted couch with her 11-month-old son Mark for the whole day the Boxing Day.

Nanna Stewart said: "There is always arguing over who gets it, it’s the perfect seat. It is straight in front of the TV and has got the coffee table at the side for you to rest your drink on and the TV remote, so everybody wants to sit there.”

Here is more.  I thank Mark Chambers, a loyal MR reader, for the pointer.

darin london December 17, 2008 at 12:19 pm

This reminds me of the famous Waterhouse Family estate distribution scheme from Cryptonomicon.

mk December 17, 2008 at 1:58 pm

That is freaking hilarious.

mk December 17, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Thank you typepad, because obviously when you hung and I pressed refresh what I meant was post my comment twice.

d.cous. December 17, 2008 at 3:06 pm

Tyler, that article also linked to another “Markets In Everything” headline: pre-chewed pencils.

Busby SEO Test Gary Viray December 18, 2008 at 6:11 am

Now that is what I call creative resolution. Impressive way of resolving family argument and guilt trip on who gets the spot.

D iversity December 18, 2008 at 12:13 pm

A reet smart Yorkshire lass is that Bev Stewart. Happen a few more of us will be running auctions next year.