This is either very good news or very bad news

by on January 19, 2009 at 10:20 am in Current Affairs | Permalink

Wholesale Liquidators, Inc. — Going Out of Business

That's a storefront sign up next to the Eden Center, my favorite spot for Asian food in the DC area (you must visit if you haven't already been; often the best places are in the hidden corridors inside).  It is, unfortunately, likely to be bad news.

bjk January 19, 2009 at 10:40 am

Store furnishings must go too, but what if they sell first? That would be inconvenient . . .

StreetWalker January 19, 2009 at 11:22 am

As a former resident of Falls Church – I used to live in the Crossman House on Shadow Walk – the Eden Center was great. Awesome pho could be found there, dirt cheap.

However, to Kalieris’ remark, more power to Falls Church. That big box junk belongs at Tyson’s and farther out, if they are even viable in today’s economy any more. FC was underserved for its income class and still is. Those of us who lived there certainly didn’t shop at Bradlees! We used to have to go all the way to Sutton Place (now Balducci’s, right?) just to get groceries.

David January 19, 2009 at 11:39 am

Once you’ve found a parking spot, Eden Center is great. I don’t live in the area anymore, but I never once entered the Wholesale Liquidators. I did go to Ames once or twice, though, before it went under. I really only went to Eden Center to get the excellent food available there.

Mario Rizzo January 19, 2009 at 1:46 pm

The National Wholesale Liquidators store in Manhattan on Broadway between Houston and Bleecker is also going out of business. This particular store lost its lease but the chain is finacially bankrupt. I absolutely loved this store. The prices were often fantastic on many household items including food. Psychologically, the store was always a boost to me. When you went in there you saw that almost everyone could afford to live well (“The poor lived better than the rich before” to quote Mandeville) — cheap TVs, vacuum cleaners, etc. The quality was also very good. Just walking around the store was a joy to me. I’ll miss it. (No, I am not nuts.)

Tom Walton January 22, 2009 at 6:32 pm

My favorite restaurant at the Eden Center – Four Sisters – has located a little further out in the burbs (Arlington Blvd & Gallows, in a new building near the googleplex theater. Much nicer digs, but I preferred the old place (excepting the aforementioned parking)