Assorted links

by on February 18, 2009 at 1:37 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Hacking Obama's Blackberry.

2. Hacking a university press.

3. Hacking Obama's housing plan.  And here is a good critique.

4. Markets in everything, sell advertising space on your bald head.

5. China mad architectural design plan of the day.

MM February 18, 2009 at 1:54 pm

““The city is no longer determined by the leftover logic of the industrial revolution (speed, profit, efficiency) but instead follows the ‘fragile rules’ of nature,† say MAD.”

Haven’t I been reading this kind of thing since at least the 70s? The site reads like the neverending spiel that comes out of every new crop of architects and firms mixed with the cultural egotism of the Chinese.

DanC February 18, 2009 at 2:14 pm

No person who lied on their loan application, about income etc, should be getting bailed out.

I would not allow any person who has bought more then 2 homes in the last five years to participate.

The Timid Scholar February 18, 2009 at 3:50 pm

You can see the development of computer-driven architecture here:

Dan in Euroland February 18, 2009 at 5:25 pm

RE: Pirates v. University Presses

I have to admit that I have been amazed at the sheer quantity and variety of academic press books available on the web. [For research purposes only see: http://avaxhome.ws/ I suspect part of what is driving this phenomenon is that you have a group of highly intelligent, but poor grad students (and maybe some undergrads) with an interest in this material, and the means to carry out the scanning.

Also if anyone is interested in the Pirate Bay case mentioned in the article, see the blog TorrentFreak. They have comprehensive, although obviously biased, coverage.

Paul N February 18, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Ugh…more deplorable TIP architecture 20 years after it was proven that “urban” plannings like this promote crime, ruin neighborhoods, etc.

Jon Kay February 18, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I also share BC’s questions.

On a related note, it’s looking to me from Economist articles like the Street model for packages of bond INSURANCE is that they’re kinda like bonds and AAA or A1 or another letter set will do for rating them. Is that true? And, I’ve also been wondering why we aren’t seeing more pressure for a coming up with and deploying a good real model for CDS bundles that can be deployed readily and works well. After all, how can the economy come back together if we have no idea how much such a big chunk of cash is worth, or even a good model for traders? Or am I missing something, too?

Sorry to disturb the thread.

Andrew February 19, 2009 at 6:55 am

3. What about refinancing to 50 year mortgages?