Assorted links

by on February 12, 2009 at 9:04 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. The Political Economy of the Financial Crisis, by the excellent Roger Congleton.

2. How to trick your three-year-old.

3. Markets in everything, Japan edition once again.

4. Serotonin and financial risk?

5. Arctic unicorns, worth a view.

6. Small ideas for a much better world.

Melpomene February 12, 2009 at 9:18 am

All those arctic unicorns you see there are dead by now thanks to poaching.

k February 12, 2009 at 11:04 am

trick yoy child
It can backfire, my wife and me asked the Dr in front of our 3 yo daughter how to make her eay more. The Dr said dont worry , she can it what she want and she know how much to eat. Know every time she dont want to eat , se days “dr P.. said…

Daniel February 12, 2009 at 11:21 am

Hmmm….talking about how to trick 3 year olds will just make the public misunderstand economists even more. :)

Thelonious_Nick February 12, 2009 at 11:45 am

I have a three-year old and found the article interesting. I too find that framing a question differently can produce better results. If a certain behavior is both annoying and potentially harmful, then emphasize the harm aspect. However, those techniques that verge into outright lying make me very uncomfortable, even with my young son.

I think many parents are uncomfortable with their children crying under any circumstances. Having many younger siblings, I long ago became inured to crying, especially when it’s used a form of manipulation. If my son needs to change his behavior, and he won’t accept a reasonable explanation, then a time-out or simply removing him from the offending situation seem to work fine, albeit with a few tears that pass quickly. I think understanding that he won’t always get his way improve his behavior in the long run, also.

The hard part for me is separating the areas where a child should be allowed to say no. Safety, bathtimes, and polite behavior in public are not negotiable. Certain other areas I let him have more control.

Joen February 12, 2009 at 12:27 pm

I remember something … my father saying “Don’t do that” … me doing … a wack on the face … and the feeling of doing it again gone…

derek February 12, 2009 at 1:17 pm

That Congleton article was worthless. Even the conclusions were vapid.

B February 12, 2009 at 2:03 pm

That “how to trick your 3 year old” article reads like a TSA instruction manual or the 2001-2009 Republican Party platform.

Anonymous February 12, 2009 at 2:08 pm

No mention of credit default swaps in the paper. This is a major component of the financial crisis. Why isn’t it mentioned?

Michael Drake February 12, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Are narwhal skeptical about the existence of tuskless whales?