Assorted links

by on February 15, 2009 at 10:08 am in The Arts | Permalink

1. New Yale econ classes (open, on the web), including Robert Shiller on finance.

2. How good is Shane Battier? (by Michael Lewis), and comment by Al Roth.  So why aren't the Rockets better is my question.

3. China markets in everything fact of the day, hat tip to this very good China law blog.

4. NEA arts money ended up back in the stimulus bill.

5. Gramophone magazine, all the archives from 1923, now on-line and searchable.

Anonymous February 15, 2009 at 10:22 am

T-Mac is either unhealthy or unmotivated, and Battier missed a lot of time. Artest has also missed several games, and has terrible shot selection.

odograph February 15, 2009 at 10:51 am

mrshl February 15, 2009 at 12:14 pm

The Rockets have been plagued by injury, but it’s a good question whether the moves of our “genius” GM, including adding the aging Artest, have actually improved the team. There’s no question Battier was a smart addition, but otherwise I’m not sure our team’s record gives us the right to crow about how smart we are.

On the other hand, the NBA is a star league. Much of your success is determined by luck in the draft (e.g., the Spurs getting Tim Duncan, the Cavs getting LeBron) or attracting the rare top free agent (e.g., Shaq to the Lakers, Garnett to the Celts). I actually think Morey is a good GM who has made the Rockets better at the margin. But in the NBA, being better at the margin only gets you to the playoffs; it’s the stars (like Garnett) who are needed to convert your seeding into a championship.

Where is my bailout? February 15, 2009 at 12:47 pm

“I tried to calculate what percentage of the stimulus was arts money, and my calculator went into scientific notation ;-). I think in this context $50 ~= 0.”

I’m still waiting for my $300,000 bailout check from the government. The government would only have to steal one tenth of a penny from every other person in the U.S.

StreetWalker February 15, 2009 at 5:22 pm

@Greg

when (if?) the corporate world will be able to analyze executive performance

As soon as Robin Hanson starts his prediction market for CEOs. Stay tuned. Better yet, finance him so we can start it now.

Bob W. February 15, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Since you are random linking, a discussion based on musings over a Road to Serfdom pamphlet produced by GM back in the day is worth a quick look. . .

John Sterling February 16, 2009 at 10:02 am

Why aren’t the Rockets better? Tracy McGrady.