Markets in everything

by on April 21, 2009 at 3:23 pm in Television | Permalink

Fake TV:

If you are looking effective, affordable way to deter criminals from breaking into your home at night, the FakeTV Burglar Deterrent is the perfect solution. FakeTV is a plug-in unit about the size of a coffee cup that simulates light output equivalent to a typical 27" TV. A built-in light sensor automatically turns the device on at night and/or when lighting in a room turns black (at 0.5 lux). From outside your home, it looks like someone is home watching TV.

I thank Denis Grosz for the pointer.

nikkos April 21, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Dave J April 21, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Perhaps because leaving the TV on uses a lot more electricity than a flourescent bulb of the same output? Or that leaving a TV on will shorten its lifetime? Or maybe some people don’t even own a television? So often, people who are trying to be so smart are so damn stupid.

BoscoH April 21, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I leave my 46″ Sony on all day an evening while gone, and my monthly electric bill hovers around $50. I leave it on to keep the dogs from noticing and reacting to small noises outside. But my home hasn’t been burglarized in awhile. Now I know why.

anonymous April 21, 2009 at 5:38 pm

It uses 3.0 watts operating, 1.8 watts standby (“draws less power than a night light”). Plus, it has a light sensor so it only comes on (automatically) when it’s dark.

Presumably it makes no sound though. Will smart burglars bounce a laser beam off your window?

anonymous April 21, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Hmmm, interesting how it automatically added those little icons. I guess Tyler gets a commission if someone buys something through clicking on those?

Nick April 21, 2009 at 7:57 pm

this might be good for home alone but i think the cost for a burglar walking up to a window and peeping in is pretty small.

anon April 21, 2009 at 9:49 pm

If all your neighbors have one, should you get one, too?

And, how is this like Alex’s “I didn’t paint my house number on the curb because all my neighbors did” example that got him so much grief….

rfhnr April 22, 2009 at 2:40 am

youd have to put one in every room so the burglars wouldnt know which one to avoid

FakeTV Mfr April 22, 2009 at 8:24 am

Most of the comments (even sarcarstic ones) are spot on, with a few clarifications:
- A light on a timer remains a good idea! We (the makers of FakeTV) recommend it, and I use one (in addition to FakeTV) when I go on vacation.
- TV’s turn on with buttons, so they cannot be put on timers. That’s part of why FakeTV is so effective– when you see a TV on, you just assume someone is watching it.
- To everyone who thinks security conciousness is a dumb idea: you are the people we are redirecting the burglars to!

David April 22, 2009 at 10:04 am

“Or you could…simply leave the TV on. It seems to me there are markets in everything because, so often, people are so damn stupid.”

But I don’t have a TV.

John April 22, 2009 at 2:25 pm

That won’t help us or our neighborhood. The burglar run on our neighborhood a couple of summers back was for homes with TVs. That is exactly what they stole. They saw the light on and hit homes at 5am on average.

I’d say it’s a stupid waste.

PANASONIC Laptop Battery May 18, 2009 at 10:24 am

The alternative is good but I’d be curious on the differences in power consumption before I’d say it is just as good to leave the actual TV on.

Easy Warm floor February 11, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I am also agree with the “keeping radio on”. By that way we can save the electricity and also fulfill our motive