Markets in everything, photographs only edition

by on April 24, 2009 at 4:39 am in Medicine | Permalink

Most folks never realize how cute microbes can be when expanded
1,000,000 times and then fashioned into cuddly plush. Until now, that
is. Keep one on your desktop to remind yourself that there is an
"invisible" universe out there filled with very small things that can
do incredible damage to much bigger things. Then go and wash your
hands. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Here is the web site.  The options include human sperm, toxic mold, and, best of all, gangrene.  If you read closely it seems you only get a picture, not the real thing.

I thank TheBrowser for the pointer.

Zamfir April 24, 2009 at 5:32 am

I liked how they gave black and white cow spots to mad cow disease.

Kat April 24, 2009 at 6:16 am

Are you saying that you think this is a hoax? Because they really sell these (but don’t just take my word for it; search for “giant microbes”…)

ThinkGeek does have April Fool’s catalog entries, but this isn’t one! Here’s one MR readers might like: http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/snuznluz.shtml

PLW April 24, 2009 at 7:45 am

What you DON’T get, is the actual microbe, which in some of these cases should make you happy.

Yan April 24, 2009 at 9:06 am

I just ordered 3 Gummy Anatomical Hearts (http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/science/b689/). I think they make very sincere gifts. The hearts are on 20% discount, but the shipping costs $5.59.

Doug April 24, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Speaking of tiny things doing damage to much bigger things, who ever thought it would be the pigs who wipe us all out? Everyone was so busy watching the birds, they let the pig flu sneak up on us!

Lauren April 24, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I have the common cold, too! Definitely a real product, although I don’t remember getting a card with a photograph. It was a gift, so maybe it got tossed out with the packaging.

For individual pictures, go to http://www.giantmicrobes.com

Jacqueline April 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm

“Also, this is probably the nicest way ever to give syphilis to someone.”

I think you mean that this is the nicest way to HAVE syphilis. I think most people prefer the regular way of GETTING it. :)

Beth April 26, 2009 at 2:30 pm

You could buy some plushy organs here and have the microbes invade. Mad cow attacking a brain… now that’s fun for all ages.