The Education of the Stoic

by on April 24, 2009 at 5:53 am in Philosophy, Religion | Permalink

"I am shy with women: therefore there is no God" is highly unconvincing metaphysics.

That's from Fernando Pessoa's book, written under the name of Baron of Teive.

1 Blackadder April 24, 2009 at 9:10 am

A philosopher friend of mine used to refer to the “argument from my bad sex life,” a kind of parody of the argument from evil.

2 The Other Eric April 24, 2009 at 11:34 am

Trying to read, and learn anything from, this book is the equivalent of trying to learn classical Thai cooking from a Siamese cat.

The subject matter requires a grown-up with real knowledge.

It’s said that Pessoa published very little in his lifetime, but it seems too much for me.

3 dk April 26, 2009 at 6:37 pm

“”I am shy with women: therefore there is no God” is highly unconvincing metaphysics.”

Unconvincing to other people perhaps. For some shy guys it may be very convincing.

4 Daniel Ferreira April 28, 2009 at 11:10 am

I’m going to have to tell you that understanding Pessoa is not easy in normal conditions. He is first and foremost a poet of modernity. Meaning the text aims to be aesthetic. To expect his books to be treatises of analytic philosophy is to condemn yourself not to understand him from the start.

This post and comment section looks like a conversation between a group of savages that have found an umbrella by accident, and are complaining that it makes a lousy club.

5 Jack July 13, 2009 at 3:22 pm

“Its as good as any other “disproof” of God’s existence I’ve seen so far.
They all seem to be of the sort, “There is something I don’t like about the universe, therefor there is no God.””

No, not really. They assume a specific conception of God, generally some variation of the “omnimax” God (omnibenevolent, omniscient, omnipotent) and attempt to show that this God’s existence would contradict some aspect of the world we find ourselves in. Arguments from evil obviously cannot, and do not try to, eliminate the possibility that an evil, malevolent God may exist – but then few people would consider such a god ‘God’.