Assorted links

by on June 19, 2009 at 3:38 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Me on the Hebrew Bible, in print.

2. Markets in everything, making solicitors pay.

3. Markets in everything, iPhone apps edition, the photo is safe for work.

4. The economics of *The Economist*, and why it still makes money.

5. China Mieville defends Tolkien.

Joshua Allen June 19, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Right on. It has recently been dawning on me that the creation/garden story alone could qualify as the greatest work of human literature; the rest of the Torah is just a fractal projection of that story, and all other human literature is just a fractal projection of Torah.

Bob Montgomery June 19, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I’m inclined to agree with you, but still…the creation/garden story is the first 3 chapters of Genesis; about 2000 words. It takes 5 minutes to read it through, if that. That tiny little story is the greatest work of human literature?

On the other hand, it pretty much has the entirety of the gospel in it, so that’s something.

Joshua Allen June 19, 2009 at 5:50 pm

@Bob – Good point. IMO, its “greatness” is that it is the most succinct possible telling of the story that encompasses the whole of love, destiny, life and death, human nature, hope and fear, and so on, without any distortions. People can (and do) make very beautiful and gripping elaborations, but the best would all distill down to this story.

Mario Rizzo June 19, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I was brought up as a Roman Catholic. The idea of the Old Testament (aka Hebrew Bible) that I got from Catholic education was of a somewhat primitive scripture. And in adulthood I have been negatively impressed by the violence and exclusivism (racism?) countenanced by the Hebrew god. I am more impressed positively by the universalism of the Roman gods and the evolving monothesism of “paganism.”

Foobarista June 19, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with The Economist; it’s become far more leftish over the years, and has gone hook, line, and sinker into Greenie pieties. And I often catch errors in its tech coverage.

But it’s the only way to get decent news about odd parts of the world without hardcore Googling.

gte June 20, 2009 at 1:28 am

Actually, I should have made clear in my previous post: I reject the comparison-approach to World literature (a U.S. News and World Report rankings approach). The Hebrew Bible is beautiful and inspiring on its own terms. It doesn’t need to be compared to Indian or Chinese texts to be appreciated.

peace,

gte

ChemicalsBuyersGuide June 20, 2009 at 4:18 am

ChemicalsBuyersGuide.com is the world’s largest directory of chemical producers and suppliers for global trade and the leading provider of online marketing services for importers and exporters. It is the place for buyers and sellers to find trade opportunities and promote their business online.
ChemicalsBuyersGuide.com is not a trading company but rather an online business platform, where you can search or post information to find potential business partners.

sohbet July 8, 2009 at 8:49 am
haber November 20, 2009 at 9:04 am

Sohbet Odaları April 5, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Thanks so much for this! This is exactly what I was looking for

Muhabbet January 23, 2011 at 7:18 am

Thanks you

Muhabbet Muhabbet Odası Muhabbet odaları Sohbet sohbet odası January 23, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thanks you

Chat March 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for sharing your article I would always follow.