Markets in everything

by on June 8, 2009 at 1:50 pm in Economics | Permalink

Hamas now has a matchmaking service:

"The applicants, who pay a fee of $10-$70, are divided into
categories according to their eligibility. Women under 25 are easiest
to marry off; more challenging are women over 30 and divorcees.

"But
in a nod to Gaza's grinding poverty triumphing over its conservative
culture, there is a special file for women with jobs. Bringing home a
salary in Gaza can trump any other category, matchmakers say.

"In
the women's application, they describe their ideal man. Most ask for a
devout Muslim with a job and his own apartment, a top find in crowded
Gaza.

"Women also must describe their appearance and answer a
killer question: 'Do you consider yourself pretty according to Gaza
standards?'"

I thank TheBrowser.com for the pointer.

Andy June 8, 2009 at 2:24 pm

How many dimensions of compatibility do they use?

pmp June 8, 2009 at 3:56 pm

“Women also must describe their appearance and answer a killer question: ‘Do you consider yourself pretty according to Gaza standards?’”

Sorry for being clueless but I have a question.

Can anyone tell me what “Gaza standards” might mean in this context?

Thanks!

adam June 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Is rock throwing ability important?

anon June 9, 2009 at 10:25 am

Btw guys. Just because you took me to dinner and a Zionist flag burning doesn’t mean I’m going to put out.

But kill yourself and some Israelis in a suicide bombing, THEN we’ll get together!

ravi June 9, 2009 at 11:58 am

OK there is absolutely nothing funny here at all. You people are just mocking some other culture. Why should people in Gaza not have a matchmaking service?

I am sure young women in some red state would look for a well off devout catholic. I used to live in the states and believe me you are no less human than anybody else.

Dave June 9, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Yeah, crazy how they can’t solve the peace problem when no one’s overly sensitive or anything.