My Bloggingheads with Robert Wright on *The Evolution of God*

by on June 17, 2009 at 10:40 am in Books, Religion | Permalink

It is on theology and religion and you will find it here.  They list some of the specific topics as follows:

Bob’s new book, “The Evolution of God” (09:34)

On being a bad secular Buddhist (03:28)

The God Bob believes in (03:17)

Why agnostic Tyler loves the Hebrew Bible (03:26)

How Bob and Tyler came to their personal theologies (06:49)

Quantum physics and king-sized video games as paths to God (07:42)

For me it was a very interesting exchange, but given the topic I cannot predict that everyone will feel the same way.  Other points we touched upon were the beautiful elements in Islam and its notion of religious ecstasy, the appeal of Sufism, why Unitarianism is not more popular, the pagan polytheistic versions of Catholicism, penalty and punishment in Haitian voodoo, the preconditions of tolerance, my views on meta-ethics, what does the concept of God really mean anyway, why dogmatic atheism is so unfortunate, and what is the real metaphysical problem that everyone needs to face up to.  Bob of course just wrote a book on religion but from my end I view this as a personal dialog rather than me communicating verified scholarly information in an educational manner.

You can buy Bob's book, The Evolution of God, here.

1 Luke G. June 17, 2009 at 11:08 am

Very interesting & intriguing section on the Hebrew Bible. Thanks for posting this.

2 Rob June 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm

I’ve been looking forward to this for some time. Can’t wait to get off work so I can watch it 🙂

3 Matthew June 17, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Tyler, since when did you move from the “agnostic” to the “atheist” column?

4 razib June 17, 2009 at 9:32 pm

i really enjoyed the diavlog. i would like to add though that many hindus would dispute that it is in fact a polytheistic religion, as opposed to the monotheistic one (though not all). of those who promote hinduism as a monotheistic religion with the vedas as the equivalent to the bible or koran, a disproportionate number are probably involved in hindu nationalism. but the topic is complex (and remember that many muslims and jews are extremely dubious that trinitarian christianity is monotheistic. many salafi muslims are dubious that shia are monotheistic. and so forth ;-).

5 Jon June 17, 2009 at 11:19 pm

“we should be open to the notion that our fundamental view of the world is basically wrong”

Loved that quote.

6 Ricardo June 18, 2009 at 5:09 am

Hitchens is polite to people who he sees as not being dishonest hacks or frauds. That’s not to say his perception is necessarily always accurate. But he had quite a respectful debate with Christian conservative Marvin Olasky. I don’t remember him being particularly rude even when debating Al Sharpton or Dinesh D’Souza. But such a debate would be worth watching for sure.