Assorted links

by on July 22, 2009 at 10:16 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Via Chris Masse, one account of life as a fashion model.

2. Countercyclical asset of the day: building sheds.

3. Me, on the future of libraries and related matters.

4. NeighborhoodEffects, a blog.

5. How much should blog writers disclose about their personal lives?

6. Old people are less interested in health care reform: the numbers.

7. Markets in everything: de-baptism, done with a hair dryer.

Candadai Tirumalai July 22, 2009 at 10:44 am

I have been in Medicare for nearly 7 years.
One health reform I favor would ensure that
not only do patients get the treatment they
need but that they need the treatment they get.
In a system where doctors are paid a salary, as
at the renowned Cleveland and Mayo Clinics,both
are likely. Elsewhere I am not so sure. It can be
be argued of course that in the absence of an
incentive to increase one’s income, doctors
won’t innovate and do their best. But the
clinics I named seem to have surmounted this
problem.

MPO July 22, 2009 at 12:09 pm

From the Sullivan link: “I can understand why some atheists would find this cathartic.”

Sure, if they’re the increasingly common religious atheists with deeper and more pervasive problems than just their dislike of Jebus. I’ve got no problem with someone turning on their religion, or never being religious, but come on. If you’ve decided there is no god, that’s really all there is to it. That’s all it took for me. It’d be one thing if they had been physically assaulted as a child and the ceremony gave them a representation of their passage out of that pain, but with a hairdryer named ‘reason’ that’s clearly not the case.

quecostique July 22, 2009 at 12:57 pm

#7 is why I obfuscate the fact that I have no faith. Open mockery and the debasement of other’s beliefs, just because you don’t believe them yourself, is a classy move that’s bound to engender acceptance.

charlie July 22, 2009 at 1:41 pm

why should old people care about health care reform? medicare is the best plan in the country. And you think we can afford Mayo/Cleveland clinic standards of care you are crazy.

Mark July 22, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Interesting take opposing universal healthcare…

Thoughts?

a loyal reader July 22, 2009 at 9:22 pm

I dn’t agree with Trunk. And yes, I grew up in a screwed-up family where some secrets shouldn’t have stayed secrets. There is still an important distinction between covering up serious problems that need intervention, and blasting the details of ordinary ones. I’m glad she’s able to use extreme openness as a mechanism to guard against extreme secrecy harming her again, and if it works for her, great, but that doesn’t mean it’s generally applicable. (For one, I can’t imagine wanting to share the details of relationship issues, mostly because spreading the info around would get in the way of resolving the problems.)

Careless July 23, 2009 at 1:04 am

#5 and other entries from this same blog are must reads. Perhaps, the best writing on the web.

This is just great stuff:

“When I was a kid, there was money everywhere. My great grandpa was a lawyer for the Chicago mob in the 1920s, and today, my dad’s generation is still living off that money. Sometimes I wonder if the key to being able to squash materialism is to have a lot of it as a kid. I’m not sure. But let me tell you this: I grew up with a laundress and a housekeeper and unlimited cash from a drawer in the dining room.”

She claims she can remember very little before her post-grad days (and she’s in her early 30s, I think) in the linked-to post. In he post I’m quoting here, she speculates on something that anyone who knows a decent number of kids who grew up spoiled-rich knows isn’t true. I’m not exactly impressed.

anon July 23, 2009 at 7:25 am

NeighborhoodEffects, a blog.

Tyler, you’ve been holding out on us….

techreseller July 23, 2009 at 4:41 pm

re; the atheists getting de-baptized. They forget Pascal’s wager on why he believed in god. I propose a variant of Pascal’s wager. Do not believe in god, live an ethical life, and keep the baptism. In the unlikely event you are wrong and there is a god, you at least lived an ethical life and were baptized and thus are allowed in. Long odds, sure, but you are already baptized, so no harm done. Only benefits can come from it and if there is no god (as is highly likely), then so what.