*Create Your Own Economy*, special offer

by on July 8, 2009 at 1:01 pm in Books | Permalink

As an economist I believe in the power of incentives.

If you order or buy my book before midnight tomorrow (it comes out tomorrow in stores), I will send you a free, special bonus chapter.  If you've already bought or ordered the book, don't worry, you still qualify.

Just email me and tell me you bought the book, I will take your word for it.  You can send me a copy of your on-line order if you wish.

No, it's not a bonus chapter from Create Your Own Economy.

Did you know that for years I have been, on and off, drafting a book on the philosophic foundations of a free society?  The book is still years from completion.  It won't even be my next book to come.  But I do finally have an introductory chapter for that book which I will send you.  This book is my no-holds-barred attempt to answer all of the tough questions about the philosophic foundations of our belief in freedom.  It also gives a shorthand version of why I have significant reservations about the standard neoclassical approach to economic policy.  No, it is not the book's full treatment of these issues but the chapter outlines the scope of the argument and the six major problems that any philosophy of freedom must solve.

In return I ask only that you give me your word you will not post the chapter on-line. (Comments, however, are welcome.)

This offer will not be repeated and I do not expect other people to see this chapter (much less the manuscript-in-progress) for some time to come.  So now is the best, highest return time to order or buy Create Your Own Economy.

If you're having trouble clicking through to other book outlets, the link for Barnes&Noble.com is here, the link for Borders.com is here.

1 dm July 8, 2009 at 1:20 pm

i bought your book. what’s the email address to get the chapter?

2 MK July 8, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Tyler, just bought your book on Amazon. What is your email address for the bonus chapter? Thanks.

3 Biomed Tim July 8, 2009 at 1:57 pm

this reminds me…you haven’t updated your secret blog in a while…

4 david July 8, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I am somewhat startled by how these two fit together:

As an economist I believe in the power of incentives.

Just email me and tell me you bought the book, I will take your word for it.

given how rapidly the secret blog address was leaked!

On myself, I cannot buy the book at the moment, sadly, and so I will not ask for the secret chapter. I do hope you complete your philosophy book within my lifetime, though 😉

5 Neil S July 8, 2009 at 2:28 pm

and I believe in rewarding those who provide positive incentives…the book has been ordered

6 Dan K. July 8, 2009 at 2:46 pm

@Elliott

Amazon does not price the used books, those prices are determined by independent sellers.

Since the book has not been released yet, then the only “used copy” must be an advanced copy from the publisher. Supply and demand then kicks in to give you a high price. For those patient enough to wait a couple of days, the price will come down significantly on the used books. (Note: This is one reason why Kindle is such a good deal for Amazon, DRM takes care of the used book market, just as Ticketmaster tries new technology to foil scalpers.)

7 arne July 8, 2009 at 3:02 pm

“Why are used copies of the book more expensive than new copies?”
Supply & demand. Demand for new copies will be fulfilled tomorrow, and since used copies can only be made out of new ones fulfilling the demand for used ones will take longer. That was easy.

8 Andrew July 8, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Your incentive is good. Almost good enough. Some people are repulsed by deadlines. If they are too onerous, they spur inaction rather than action.

9 Pedro July 8, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Extend to Tuesday for Canadians?

10 TA July 8, 2009 at 4:22 pm

OK, I just bought it.

11 Joe July 8, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Another example of why I love this blog

12 Adam July 8, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Ah, the power of incentives. By way of example: I asked my neighborhood bookstore to match a price quoted online, and they scoffed at my request. I have no incentive to ever buy a book from them. Now your offer, on the other hand….

13 Tonyp July 8, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Done. My economy had better be at least as big and as that of Zimbabwe, or I’m going to demand a full refund.

14 Lindemann July 8, 2009 at 9:25 pm

I had been planning to purchase the book, but was spurred to do it right away by this offer. So there’s one case of influence at the margin.

15 Sachin July 9, 2009 at 7:25 am

Does the Kindle version also qualify for the offer?

16 Dennis July 9, 2009 at 8:51 am

Wow, Tyler you keep getting more and more like those telemarketers we used to see: “But that’s not all! If you order before midnight tomorrow, you will also get a new set of Gizu knives and a special pot for making the type of ethnic food you can only get at low-end shopping centers in NoVa.”

17 dfvlazny July 9, 2009 at 10:24 am

Purchased your book in unabridged audio format. Does this count, only problem is they(amazon) has not given me a date as to when the audio version wil be complete.

18 Andrew July 9, 2009 at 11:42 am

I guess according to dfvlazny, I sort of can buy an Audible future.

Tyler, I hope you read your new book for the audio version personally.

19 sammler July 9, 2009 at 2:03 pm

“liar”: This is exactly why you, more than anyone else, need the chapter on foundations of a free society. So it’s almost all right if you steal it.

20 Andrew July 10, 2009 at 7:01 am

I guess I should have said the revolution will be marginalized.

Deadline is passed and now I feel some non-buyer’s remorse. It’ll pass.

21 ultra tall ugg boots August 19, 2010 at 3:54 am

Does this count, only problem is they(amazon) has not given me a date as to when the audio version wil be complete.Bailey Button Ugg Boots
Classic Tall Ugg Boots