The funniest sentence I read today

by on July 27, 2009 at 10:58 pm in Medicine | Permalink

At a recent town-hall meeting in suburban Simpsonville, a man stood up and told Rep. Robert Inglis (R-S.C.) to "keep your government hands off my Medicare."

The longer article is here.

Daniel Reeves July 27, 2009 at 11:15 pm

The next sentence only adds to the humor:

“I had to politely explain that, ‘Actually, sir, your health care is being provided by the government,’ ” Inglis recalled. “But he wasn’t having any of it.”

Following the health care debate was worth that quote. I think I’m done caring now.

TGGP July 27, 2009 at 11:19 pm

I heard Mark Schmitt give the same story, except it was Jon Breaux and an old woman worried about social security. Also, Breaux ran with it and said “Don’t worry, I won’t let them”.

George W Walton July 28, 2009 at 1:51 am

He was probably referring to the part the Democrats control. That’s socialism. The part Republicans conrol is strictly lazzei faire.

Bill E Pilgrim July 28, 2009 at 6:15 am

I read comments like this all the time. People railing against public health coverage write things like “I buy insurance so I’ll be protected, I don’t want it to go to other losers who have something wrong with them!”

This is the biggest problem facing the entire country in terms of health care debates right now. Most of those arguing against reform need to have explained to them what insurance means, not be deluged with arcane discussions of the fine print.

Myths like the one above (“the US government administers no health care now and it would fail miserably if it ever tried to”) are rampant, and easily stoked into even higher levels of outrage by the pundits on cable, radio, and the Internet.

If people end up influencing their representatives to scuttle this vote, it will be largely from profound ignorance, that’s the tragic part.

Megan July 28, 2009 at 6:47 am

I think it is important that people should know more about where their medical insurance is coming from. While i laughed when i read the statement made by the man from Simpsonville, it shows us how woefully unaware we are about our own insurance policies.

Norman Pfyster July 28, 2009 at 10:29 am

Bloom County years ago had a strip mocking farm subsidies in the same manner.

JH July 28, 2009 at 11:31 am

No, really, voters are very knowledgeable about the issues.

Bill July 28, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I was addressing a room full of people who were applying for benefits under the federal Workforce Investment Act, not an entitlement program, but still a pretty big USDOL job retraining program. I explained that for males born since 1/1/1960, Selective Service enrollment is required and that signing up for the draft can only be done between the ages of 18 and 26. A man raised his hand to tell us that he had not signed up when he was in the window. I replied that he probably just didn’t remember doing it and not to worry, we would check the website. He raised his hand again and proclaimed in a loud voice, “No, sir, I’m sure I didn’t sign up. I’m anti-government.”

Wevin July 31, 2009 at 10:10 pm