Darwin, Magic and Evolution

by on August 29, 2009 at 7:33 am in Uncategorized | Permalink

I believe that Darwin would have enjoyed this video of a chimp being dazzled by a magician; it reveals much about our place in the natural universe.

1 Andrew August 29, 2009 at 10:58 am

The little boxes showing the “contestants” or audience members (I’m never quite sure) allow us to be captivated by by Japanese girls being fascinated by chimps being dazzled by magicians.

2 Nate August 29, 2009 at 11:52 am

American TV is so … weird.

Nat at all like sophisticated Japanese TV…

oh wait.

3 Greg Ransom August 29, 2009 at 12:11 pm

It is impossible to know what are “natural” reactions here and which are trained responses.

4 MattJ August 29, 2009 at 1:24 pm

The chimp handler is part of the act, and the chimp is a trained chimp … in other words the chimp is a trained part of the act.

That’s not so obvious to me. I think if the chimp had seen the act before, he would have been checking out the potted plants for hidden grapes much earlier, or (if trained not to) he wouldn’t have spent so much time doing so after he was directed to the first one. That is, he would have known from past experience that there were no more grapes in the tree.

Also, if I had trained the chimp as part of the act, I think I would have trained him to show more concern for his handler during the last trick. I think that one was over his head.

5 Tom West August 29, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I found the reactions of the chimp to be almost identical to those I would expect a three or four year old child to have.

6 Yan August 30, 2009 at 1:13 pm

It is so cute and touching when the chimp rushed to hug her friend right after the sword was off his throat.

7 damon katz August 31, 2009 at 10:15 am

Sadistic.

8 jeu September 21, 2009 at 5:51 am

Yes it is. Also, why is that man dressed like the chimp? Are they BFFs?
This reminds me of the magic I used to tease my dog with. Well, I say ‘magic’ – it was mainly swapping tasty biscuits…