Assorted links

by on August 2, 2009 at 4:08 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Doubts on cash for clunkers.

2. Stanley Lebergott passes away at 93.

3. Lobbying strategy: give us money or we will kill the gorilla.

4. How many people are killed by cows?  "…All but one of the victims died from head or chest injuries; the last
died after a cow knocked him down and a syringe in his pocket injected
him with an antibiotic meant for the cow. In at least one case the
animal attacked from behind, when the person wasn’t looking. Older men
with arthritis and hearing aids have the highest risk of being injured
by livestock, the report says, probably because they don’t hear the
animals charging and can’t move fast enough to get out of the way."

Chuck E August 2, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Good post about cash-for-clunkers. ESM had a direct take-down of the program as well.

E. Barandiaran August 2, 2009 at 5:12 pm

The general idea behind programs like “cash-for-clunkers” was denounced a few days ago by Don Boudreaux. See his post

happyjuggler0 August 2, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Regardless of what one thinks about cash for clunkers, it ought to be noted that moving from a 30mpg car to a 35mpg car is radically less gas saving than a move from a 10mpg car to a 15mpg car.

We should really be thinking in terms of something like gallons per 10K miles (G10KM). I urge everyone to do the math themselves. The money you save the next time you try to figure out what car to buy will be your own.

UserGoogol August 2, 2009 at 8:27 pm

happyjuggler0: Except they already do that. The CAFE is calculated by taking the harmonic mean of the MPG, which is the inverse of the arithmetic average of the inverses. Functionally, that’s equivalent to converting MPG to gallons per mile, averaging that, and then converting back to MPG. So they already take into account that the difference between 10 MPG and 15 MPG is much higher than the difference between 30 MPG and 35 MPG.

Andrew August 2, 2009 at 9:46 pm

“A third of the deaths were caused by animals that had been aggressive in the past.”

So what is the appropriate punishment for a beef that attacks? Ground them.

R August 3, 2009 at 2:09 am

How many cows are killed by people ?

John Dewey August 3, 2009 at 5:32 am

On behalf of the other 249,999 consumers who benefited from Cash for Clunkers, I’ve got to say “Thanks!”. I received $4,500 from taxpayers for my old pickup truck which would otherwise have fetched $2,000 as a trade-in. I bought the same Honda CRV I would have bought before the end of the year.

My CRV was built in El Salto, Jalisco, Mexico. Now my local Honda dealer will be able to replace it with another Mexican-made CRV. I’m sure the workers in El Salto would also thank the American taxpayers – for accelerating the demand for their vehicles. On their behalf, I offer this: “Gracias!”

Candadai Tirumalai August 3, 2009 at 10:19 am

After reading the Lebergott obituary in the
Post, these thoughts occurred to me. He saved
consumerism from unthinking denunciations.
But consumerism has its own mindless side:
“You are only as good as the pricey things
you own”; “You need to live a disciplined
life to have a share of its goods”. The latter
may lead to locating discipline more in an
external source rather than within oneself.
Two-thirds of the American economy is tied
to consumer spending, perhaps more than is
desirable. In going shopping I consider some of
these questions: Is what I buy well made? Does
it erode standards already reached or advance them?
Would buying something, say a volume of poems
which I think original, lead to more good poems
being written by the same poet as well as others?

Andrew August 3, 2009 at 1:00 pm

1. Politicians always seem shocked and dumbfounded to discover that people like free money.

By the way, I’d like to have a pickup that would sit around and only be driven once in a while, but due to stupid insurance and taxes rules I don’t have it. I wonder how many such cars are going to be the clunkers that get replaced with cars driven much more often.

Tim August 5, 2009 at 3:35 am

They’re claiming 96 million / 1 billion has been spent from the cash for clunkers fund. What happened to the other 904 million? How is it conceivable that a one billion dollar program is out of money after spending 96 million?