How to sign your emails

by on August 4, 2009 at 6:40 am in Web/Tech | Permalink

I enjoyed this article, here is an excerpt:

"If you have been writing to someone 'Best' this and 'Best' that, and
you get an e-mail that is a little colder, a little hostile, and they
sign 'Sincerely,' that does mean things aren't so good," Schwalbe says.
" 'Sincerely' is the one that says, 'There's a problem here.' "

And, one may well wonder, does "Cordially" ever mean anything other than "My hostility is only thinly veiled"?

And when, e-mail-wise, is it too early for "Love"? Does "Fondly"
ever belong in business? Is "Cheers" too mock-Brit? Too alcoholic?

Fondly,

Tyler

Steve August 4, 2009 at 7:14 am

I like “Thanks,” Even if I’m not really thankful about anything, I appreciate the fact that they read to the end of the e-mail.

anon August 4, 2009 at 7:29 am

Dear Ruth McCann,

Fuck off.

Sincerely,
Anon

dearieme August 4, 2009 at 8:10 am

I tend to sign with just an initial. But especially for you

Yours aye

Dearieme.

The Incidental Economist August 4, 2009 at 8:43 am

I’ve always liked it when someone signs “In kindness.” This rarely occurs. I can hardly ever get myself to sign an e-mail that way. Why?

In kindness,
The Incidental Economist :)

John Jenkins August 4, 2009 at 9:29 am

My signature block contains address, email address and telephone contact information so the recipient never has to look up any of those things if my email has been forwarded or replied to or otherwise stripped of header information. Email is not a letter, this isn’t the 17th century, and yours truly, etc., are wastes of time and attention. Just get to the point and move on.

frankl August 4, 2009 at 9:35 am

“cheers” is brit, but “ciao” is nice too (italian) – how about “Regards”

Fernando August 4, 2009 at 9:44 am

Tyler, etymologically, cordially means from the heart, very far away from a diguised dislike.

charlie August 4, 2009 at 10:12 am

why do I feel this article would be timely in, say, 1997, but really out of date today? cheers.

Independent George August 4, 2009 at 10:39 am

It all depends on context.

Dude,

George

db August 4, 2009 at 10:59 am

I use “best regards” and sometimes just “regards” as my go to safe closings. I also like the Air Force “V/R” and wish it were widely adopted. “Best” by itself, however, seems slightly obnoxious to me.