The benefits of competition

by on August 24, 2009 at 4:09 pm in Religion | Permalink

More pet rapture insurance!  I thank James Hinckley for the pointer.  Note that this service, unlike the other, vows not to have sex with your pets.  That's what economists call quality competition.  Lawrence Abbott once wrote a very good book on that idea.

Attila Smith August 24, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Is it the Antichrist whispering in my ear that there might be an infinitesimal probability of legs being pulled ?

Michael B. August 24, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Er, Ned Flanders DOESN’T buy insurance…

Andrew August 24, 2009 at 6:18 pm

I’m thinking God may take issue with certifying atheists who promise not to convert at the last minute.

Isn’t suicide the only unforgivable sin? So, you would actually need failed suicides. Hardly a reliable sort.

Tyler Cowen August 24, 2009 at 8:47 pm

If suddenly the Beast appears with a 666 tattoo, also emblazoned on a microchip-driven smart card, will they practice rescission against major policyholders?

Anonymous August 24, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Note that this service, unlike the other, vows not to have sex with your pets.

Strictly speaking, they don’t. Their pledge reads “I believe it is immoral to have sex with animals, and have no desire to do so” but it should have gone on to say “and I promise not to do so”. If offered enough money, I might choose to do things I believe are immoral and have no desire to do.

SteveM August 25, 2009 at 3:43 pm

okay, tell me you guys don’t actually believe this is legitimate? It is so clearly a put-on, especially with entries like “make money while the world is in flames.” Also you notice there is no way to actually pay for the service. I’ve shown this to a number of my colleagues and not one of them thinks this is anything but big practical joke.

ComparedToWhat? August 26, 2009 at 1:03 am

Via LOLFED, the Post Rapture Post.

“Do you know someone who is in danger of being “left behind” because of a sinful life? Imagine if you could write a letter to a friend or loved one after the Great Day of Reckoning.”

“But you must be thinking to yourself, “How can the letters be delivered after the Rapture?” The answer is simple. The creators of this site are Atheists. That’s right, we don’t believe in God. How else would we be able to deliver your correspondence after the Rapture?”