America was built on the idea of premium services (markets in everything)

by on October 2, 2009 at 8:34 pm in Economics | Permalink

Chicago cabbies want to be able to charge passengers $50 for throwing up in their taxis, the Tribune reported last week. The request came along with a demand for a 22% rise in overall rates and a number of other new charges.

Here is the full story and I am wondering what you can get for $70.

I thank Alex Taylor for the pointer.

Jim October 2, 2009 at 8:48 pm

See, this is why they lost the Olympics. Cab puking in Rio is only $7.50.

T_Porter October 2, 2009 at 9:01 pm

I wonder if pricing it would spark an increase in barfing, just like the semi-famous Israeli(?) day care center that found an increase in lateness after they started charging for it.

“Oh, if I barf, they’ll just charge me? What the hell?”

mk October 2, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Jim already won the thread, no need for any more comments

Phil October 3, 2009 at 12:21 am

I’ve heard there’s a $100 charge here in Ottawa. You’d think they’d have barf bags in the back if it happens that often.

John B October 3, 2009 at 2:24 am

50 euro in dublin. it’s unfortunate that i know.

Bill October 3, 2009 at 10:07 am

Will the fee induce the taxi driver to drive wildly so as to induce barfing?

Bernard Yomtov October 3, 2009 at 3:26 pm

I don’t blame them, but I have been in cabs where the driver seemed to be doing all he could to induce barfing by anyone with a slight tendency to motion sickness. Terrible suspension, worn-out springs in the seats, hurry-up-and-stop driving, mystery odors. I think the passenger ought to be able to plead mitigating circumstances.

Brian Ewart October 4, 2009 at 12:44 am

It will definitely cost you if you want to puke in an Atlanta cab. I don’t see why Chicago cabbies should have to pay for their own cleanup in that circumstance.

anon October 5, 2009 at 9:30 am

I drove a cab for 6 years and only had one person throw up – and he warned me so I could pull over and he opened the door and puked on the street.

The people who throw up in cabs tend to come from bars that are well known to cabbies, and most drivers avoid those bars.

I took seriously the monopoly granted to me / my company and worked where I was, which meant working all over town, including the best and worst neighborhoods. (Big lesson learned: good folks live in every kind of neighborhood, and so do a**holes.)

Any fee a driver gets for a fare puking in their cab is earned. No one likes cleaning up someone else’s vomit. The job of a cab driver is to transport safely, not clean up after.

PS. My most obnoxious fares were all airline pilots, i.e., flying-bus drivers. Not all, but most were really a**holes.

blair rewards program July 29, 2010 at 10:44 pm

It seems a little pricy but I think those who actually throw up in a taxi have to pay.The cab drivers are finally getting some help.