Assorted links

by on November 24, 2009 at 1:12 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Audiobook version of David Hume's Treatise on Human Nature.

2. What some Iranians think of New Jersey.

3. Alan Lomax in Haiti.

4. James Wood tries to take down Paul Auster.

5. An unwanted kiss from a moral man.

6. What does the Miller-Moore amendment say?

Andrew November 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm

6. More words. What you want is to reward the last guy who comes in with cash by giving him good terms and seniority for being the guy willing to take risk when times are riskiest. We are talking about after the pop. After they have tried to restructure. As much as possible, the collateral should be claims to actual assets, such as loans. “If we kick the bucket, you can cart off all the toxic waste.” If the company survives they deserve a good return. What we are talking about is the previous creditors getting knocked down a peg because they failed in their oversight of the business during the boom and the saviors getting the reward because they respond to a change in the economic environment while everyone else is running for the exits. Now let me guess, any proposals on the table do the opposite.

derek November 24, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Apparently Iran gets MTV and is repressed enough to aspire to be on Room Raiders – wow. I didn’t care before, but I am henceforth turning my Twitter green out of sympathy. Well, I don’t have a Twitter, but if I did, I would use it to be insensitive in this and other ways.

pedro November 24, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Wood is wonderfully attuned to certain set of writers that include Bellow, Saramago, and Roth. Reading him reading them is a joy. But this takedown of Auster is not compelling at all. I wonder what Tyler makes of it.

Eric Auld November 24, 2009 at 11:15 pm

I’m not a huge fan of this guy’s voice who’s reading the Treatise.

John Meredith November 26, 2009 at 7:51 am

I think Woods nails Auster there, but then I always found Auster maddening. Look at this bit extracted by Woods:

“Walker “has never been a vengeful person, has never actively sought to hurt anyone, but Born is in a different category, Born is a killer, Born deserves to be punished, and for the first time in his life Walker is out for blood.†

It’s worse than just normal bad writing, it is the sort of bad writing that is not even done by writers, but which appears in blurbs produced by the marketing dept.