Markets in everything, further evidence that gold is a bubble edition

by on November 13, 2009 at 7:35 am in Economics | Permalink

Wear a Historical Gold Price Chart as Jewelry.

For the pointer I thank Anna Powell-Smith.

Jonathan November 13, 2009 at 8:57 am

Why is it that many academics have a thinly veiled contempt for the yellow metal despite its outstanding decade versus-everything-else?
Academics with a broad understanding of the Austrian persuasion have the least excuse.

Master of None November 13, 2009 at 10:04 am

By the way, Jonathan, I recall Tyler including a 15% allocation for gold in his “recommended” portfolio (with the other 85% being diversified government debt).

Not exactly “contempt”, although I can’t find the link to that post…

Ken November 13, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Jonathan wrote: “Why is it that many academics have a thinly veiled contempt for the yellow metal despite its outstanding decade versus-everything-else?”

The other decades, I suspect.

Ryan Vann November 13, 2009 at 3:12 pm

I think the titled meant to read “…that gold is a bauble.”

Doc Merlin November 13, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Pfft, gold is a currency. Its is used a currency and priced as a currency. Gold rising in your currency means that your currency is either increasing in supply faster than gold, or that demand for your currency is down wrt gold, usually because of fears of monetary expansion.

Chris Weber November 16, 2009 at 10:41 am

I have known Tyler for over 25 years, and want to say that his advice to me on my personal investments has been astoundingly consistent, and a huge help to me in determining what to do with my money.

VangelV November 17, 2009 at 9:19 am

“By the way, Jonathan, I recall Tyler including a 15% allocation for gold in his “recommended” portfolio (with the other 85% being diversified government debt”

Government debt is probably the riskiest asset class at a time when a country is broke and engaging in quantitative easing. Perhaps he meant government debt issued by a more prudent country like Brazil. :)

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post:

Next post: