Books of note

by on December 26, 2009 at 7:51 am in Books | Permalink

1. David W. Galenson, Conceptual Revolutions in Twentieth-Century Art.  We've covered Galenson in these posts.

2. Richard A. Posner, The Crisis of Capitalist Democracy.  Due out in April, this book is 400 pp.  The press release notes it "presents what Judge Posner has learned about the econom since writing [his last book]…[and he] thinks we're in for a financial aftershock because of the amount of money the government has poured into the economy to save it."

3. Günter Grass, The Tin Drum, new translation by Breon Mitchell.  I've only browsed this, but it appears to be far better than the earlier English-language translation.

4. Scott Berkun, Confessions of a Public Speaker.  If you get only one good tip from this book, it's worth it.

5. Peter Singer Under Fire: The Moral Iconoclast Faces His Critics.  The critics include Bernard Williams, David Schmidtz, Jan Narveson, Michael Huemer, and myself'; Singer responds to each essay.

Seward December 26, 2009 at 9:51 am

$42 for the Singer text? That seems a bit steep.

Bill December 26, 2009 at 10:18 am

I can’t wait for another Posner text. At 400 pages, and, since his last book was published, that must mean how many pages of CAREFULLY researched text?

Now, if he operated from a preconceived notion of what he BELIEVES, and not what he knows, that WOULD be a Herculean task.

My 90 plus year old father in law had a saying, which is useful in forcing you to be objective, and which we all should think about:

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE YOU KNOW IS NOT TRUE?

Learning means learning something you know you know you don’t know. You can’t do that so quickly unless you are not learning.

BKarn December 27, 2009 at 2:04 am

Perhaps I should start turning for my legal analysis to well-spoken economists, whose primary qualifications to speak authoritatively on legal issues would be a sharp mind and a way with words.

Ted Craig December 29, 2009 at 10:24 am

Tyler, why do you do this to yourself? From July 26, 2007 What I’ve Been Reading:

3. Gunther Grass, Peeling the Onion. Why oh why oh why do I let myself be fooled. There is only one author I find flat out too obnoxious to read, and it is this guy. And that was before I learned of the whole SS business. I had heard this one is different, but it isn’t. Or it is, but he’s still too far over the line for that to matter.

nick matyas January 7, 2010 at 1:31 am

have a nice posting , I enjoy it .

thank you .

Nick Matyas January 8, 2010 at 4:42 am

I like your posting. It is really need for our business solutions. Thanks for your posting.