Assorted links

by on January 12, 2010 at 3:39 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. The Airline Screening Playset.

2. How to eat sushi.

3. Robert Fogel is a China optimist.

D. Watson January 12, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I love the playset! Let me rephrase. I don’t love the playset, but that link is hilarious. Oh, and … FIRST

Barkley Rosser January 12, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Gosh. And I have been dipping my sushi rice into the soy sauce for years. Meshugginah!

OTOH, I would add that if one is actually in Japan another “no” in any restaurant, not
just a sushi joint, is publicly blowing one’s nose.

BKarm January 12, 2010 at 5:02 pm

#3: I hope I’m as able to write lengthy, articulate and insane articles when I’m 83, too.

Noah Yetter January 12, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Agree with y81, Fogel’s predictions seem perfectly analogous to Samuelson’s.

We know for a fact that China’s government is driving its economy through monetary policy, which means its growth has an expiration date. We also know their government basically makes up their GDP statistics exactly as the USSR did. We also know that blindly extrapolating current trends doesn’t lead anywhere except crazytown.

So why, exactly, should we be optimistic about China?

P.S. I also find distasteful the tone of the article, which implies as the popular press often does that the ranking of economies by absolute size is some kind of competition, and that if China succeeds everyone else somehow fails.

Let them eat Thomas Paine January 12, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I disagree with Fogel. In 2040 the only category in which China will be the world’s leader will be single-60-year-old-males thanks to the one child only policy. I do hope I wrong, and therefore he’s right, though as my collegiate path seems to have me geared towards employment there.

BKarm January 13, 2010 at 12:36 am

We certainly know that the Chinese economy is wildly different from that of the Soviet Union, and we certainly understand vastly more about it. But Fogel’s prediction and his supporting discussion are one of the more bizarre things I have ever read. It’s as though he took every breathless hyperventilation about China and doubled it. Without showing his work.

sam January 14, 2010 at 3:31 am

I think the chopsticks should be pointed towards you when you place them across the dish. If you do it like pictured they will be pointing at the person sitting on your left, this is naughty.