Zero price markets in everything

by on February 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

The first time I entered ChatRoulette–a new website that brings you face-to-face, via webcam, with an endless stream of random strangers all over the world–I was primed for a full-on Walt Whitman experience: an ecstatic surrender to the miraculous variety and abundance of humankind.

That's the premise, the actual story is at this link.  Here is one excerpt:

The first eighteen people who saw me disconnected immediately.

Recommended.

Andrew February 5, 2010 at 4:19 pm

“full-on Walt Whitman experience” sounds like a British euphemism for something I wouldn’t need to see either.

William February 5, 2010 at 5:36 pm

One man popped up on people’s screens in the act of fornicating with a head of lettuce.

I love the internet

Doc Merlin February 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm

“The first eighteen people who saw me disconnected immediately”

liberalarts February 5, 2010 at 10:33 pm

DocMerlin said “thats fairly standard on the internet. When people find out you aren’t their preferred sex, they often DC.”

Standard maybe, but suppose that the sight was populated with an even mix of males and females, each ready to disconnect when the wrong gender shows up on the screen. Now do the math of the probability of 18 wrongs in a row, which is 1 over 2 to the 18th power or 1/262,144. Conclusion: it is all men and among those only ones who are trolling for women.

Edward Gaffney February 5, 2010 at 10:51 pm

Um, Bloggingheads. But you should also note Bloggerheads, it’s quite a read.

Stephen Smith February 6, 2010 at 2:46 am

The most shocking things (e.g., the penis/lettuce thing) are recorded. Most of the penises aren’t though. I’d say there are four main types/groups of people you encounter on Chat Roulette:

1. Two girls, surfing together, giggling at the hot guys and “ew”ing at the penises
2. A bunch of college bros, telling guys they’re gay and/or ugly, and asking the girls to show them their tits
3. Men with cameras on their penises, masturbating, waiting for either a hot girl or a hot guy to not click “next”
4. East Asians, lookin’ for love and/or friendship

DNW February 11, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Tried it–first thing I saw was a recording of two dogs copulating. Couldn’t disconnect fast enough.

chatroulette videoları May 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

You can quickly disconnect and reconnect through ChatRoulette to try to get a sample size of its users.