Assorted links

by on March 24, 2010 at 1:24 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. DSM-V quiz.

2. Beautiful new public library in Italy.

3. China sandstorms.

4. Markets in everything: pay girls to play video games with you.

5. The end of big government liberalism?

6. Mark Pauly on health care reform, via Austin Frakt.

7. Markets in everything: The Zaky.

Tim of Angle March 24, 2010 at 1:30 pm

If this is your idea of a ‘beautiful new library’, you need professional help. Next to the new Roman Catholic cathedral in Los Angeles, this is the single ugliest building I have ever seen.

US March 24, 2010 at 2:01 pm

The GameCrush server (#4) is currently down. Why am I not the least bit surprised?

John Pertz March 24, 2010 at 2:44 pm

2. Tyler, I question your architectural sense after that posting. Here is a much nicer shrine to books located in Sao Paulo.

4. As a moderate libertarian I get an awful awful feeling that the passage of the health care reform bill simply means that the wrong kinds of Republicans will be taking back congress en masse. And a truly awful Republican candidate like Sarah Palin looks very viable for the presidency in 12′.

Also, I wonder if Republicans will begin to have internal debates about the military budget now that the Democrats have increased domestic spending to such unfathomable levels. The only path to smaller may be through the military budget.

charlie March 24, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Tyler’s sense of irony with regard to libraries continues unabated…

MyTyrone March 24, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Sorry, I should have closed after:
“As a moderate libertarian I get an awful awful feeling that the passage of the health care reform bill simply means that the wrong kinds of Republicans will be taking back congress en masse.”

Matthew March 24, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Are there actually any books in that Italian libary, or am I not thinking post-modernly enough?

Yancey Ward March 24, 2010 at 7:24 pm

From Frakt:

Using the recovered revenue to assist low-income individuals purchase insurance is a far more equitable redistribution.

Well, this wasn’t done this way for a reason. It would have given explicit lie to the claim that if you like your present employer-linked insurance, you can keep it.

Craig March 24, 2010 at 7:56 pm

I guess beautiful libraries, too, are in the eye of the beholder.

massager March 24, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Your article is nice.Thanks for your sharing,it helps me more.I will look forward to your more wonderfull articles.Have a good time.

Doc Merlin March 25, 2010 at 2:20 am

I have to disagree with Mat, people can always find new uses for things and new ‘needs’ to fulfill.

This reminds me of Gates saying that no one would ever need more than 640k of Ram.

Actually leftists have been pushing in various countries and here lately state broadband and state computer subsidies for poor people.

Aaron March 25, 2010 at 9:48 am

For a non-therapist, reading the DSM is very dangerous.

After reading it I found I had every psych diagnosis in the world with the exception of Maid’s Knee!