The best sentence Chris Masse has sent me about the iPad

by on May 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

The iPad makes using a computer less of a commitment and that has important implications for the way I compute.

The source link is here (not Chris) and Chris is here.

1 Dan in Euroland May 29, 2010 at 3:27 pm

The ipad burned out my eyeballs, so I had to return it. I am surprised that this eye fatigue problem is not more common. The thing is damn hard to read on for more than an hour.

2 mulp May 29, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Who computes on a computer anymore?

Is talking on a phone computing?

Is writing a response on paper and mailing it back to your pen pal computing?

The iPad uses “pad” in its name to reflect the way we have been using desktops and laptops and notebooks: as fancy note pads that make writing notes to ourselves and other easier, and make reading notes, finding notes, and sending and receiving faster and easier.

3 Rob May 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Are iPads good–or at least decent–for writing long documents?

4 yoyo May 30, 2010 at 12:58 am

It makes a big commitment to making steve jobs paid…

5 Tom May 30, 2010 at 9:17 am

To save a web page, try Instapaper. I use it all the time with my iPad. I too, use it as I read to take notes on. For that I use Evernote, which syncs with your other computers.

6 Careless May 30, 2010 at 10:34 pm

So I read that and he talks about things like using it to read a recipe off of in the kitchen. Well, I had to snicker, as my wife is, as I type this, making herself a meal by following the instructions on my iPhone. Quite the revolution, the iPad is.

7 Careless May 31, 2010 at 2:10 am

If the iPad succeeds, it’s because consumers know little about the abilities of smartphones and the low cost of netbooks.

8 matt June 1, 2010 at 1:09 pm

since when is spending 500.00 on a computer/toy consider a non-commitment?

rationalization: get into it.