Very good sentences

by on May 5, 2010 at 1:22 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

OH: "Facebook is the people you went to school with. Twitter is the people you wished you went to school with."

The link is here.  That's from Ben Casnocha, but who is OH?  Orrin Hatch?  Or could that be the state motto of Ohio?  Google would seem to indicate that the Ohio state motto is the anti-Thomist and indeed ultimately anti-philosophical "With God All Things Are Possible."  In 1997, the ACLU filed suit against this motto, claiming it violated the separation of church and state but they did not win the case.  Could this be Ben wishing it were the official motto of the state of Ohio because indeed all things are possible?

1 Ike May 5, 2010 at 1:28 pm

It means “OverHeard”.

2 Kevin Hargaden May 5, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Ohio’s motto is drawn from Mark 14:32. In fact, you could actually argue that the author of the Gospel of Mark uses this phrase (it re-occurs) as an elaboration of what it means to be God. Don’t know if that can ever contribute to a conversation about Twitter and Facebook but it certainly sets up a conversation with Thomas and the philosophers! 🙂

3 Nat Almirall May 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

They’re all rather uncivilized brutes in Ohio…though that may be my Michigan heritage writing. 😉

4 Erich May 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm

I’d love to re-tweet this, but it will offend the “friends” following me.

This is also what Google Buzz seems to get wrong. I do not necessarily want to use Twitter/Buzz as a tool to follow my friends. I want to use them as tools to follow people I find interesting on distinct dimensions, each related to my preferred consumption patterns.

My current Twitter account is purely a follower. I’d set up a second account if I wanted to lead.

5 br_add May 5, 2010 at 2:31 pm
6 Andrew May 5, 2010 at 2:45 pm

How much longer will we need school?

7 Sigivald May 5, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Twitter. People use that, right?

8 seanose May 5, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Anti-Thomist! Doubtful. Certainly not in the center of Thomist thought–at first glance closer to the volitionalists, like Occam–but I’m sure Thomas would agree with it in some sense. After all, if One is pure act, doesn’t One govern all possibilities?

This gets back to the impotence (!) of the duality of act and passion when applied to God. In the temporal realm they are defined in terms of each other, avoiding Foucault’s accusation that the distinction reflexively dwindles to a point only by the anchoring of time and space by the Incarnation. But for God, the duality, incautiously applied, just leads to necessatarian and volitionist contradictions.

Since Thomas was anything but incautious, and a lot of philosophers have fruitfully teased good post-analytic thought out of Thomism, I think Aquinas would have to *contra* your *item*.

9 Yancey Ward May 5, 2010 at 6:30 pm

My dad recently asked me what Facebook and Twitter are. I told him there is no good reason to know.

10 Portal Fan May 5, 2010 at 6:50 pm

@Greg Ransom

Are you thinking of Dostoevsky? In the Brothers Karamazov, I believe Ivan argues that without God everything is permitted. Of course he doesn’t mean it as a good thing (freeing human potential) but as a worrisome development (everyone will run around committing crimes).

11 Kevin Marks May 5, 2010 at 9:07 pm

The original version of this was: “Facebook is about people you used to know; Twitter is about people you’d like to know better.” by Ivor Tossell in 2008:

12 Ted Craig May 6, 2010 at 8:30 am

I find more intellectual stimulation on Facebook, to tell you the truth. Many of the people I went to high school with are pretty smart and on Facebook we can interact. Twitter, for me, is more on a soliloquy and Facebook is a dialogue.