Assorted links

by on June 28, 2010 at 1:28 pm in Web/Tech | Permalink

1. Bitcoin: peer-to-peer money.

2. Not sure what title to give this link.  But I think you should read it.

3. The five-state solution?

4. Top SNL skits.

5. Predictions.

6. Russ Roberts on Hayek.

7. A very, very smart person suggested I link to this podcast, which concerns structural adjustment, including in the Caribbean.

8. Does Merkel also play a "long game"?

Don the libertarian Democrat June 28, 2010 at 1:51 pm

My favorite SNL skit:

“Bob Dole: Can I say something, Pat? I don’t know what my good friend Pierre Dupont – and that’s your name; come on, it’s Pierre, not Pete, don’t go around telling people your name’s Pete when it’s Pierre – PIerre, I don’t know what you know about Social Security. I mean, Bob Dole didn’t grow up with a 150-foot yacht, I didn’t have the convertible for graduation, the sterling silver cocktail shaker, or the machine that tears the tennis balls at you..

George Bush: Now, wait a minute, wait a minute! Now, I’m getting sick of this! Why don’t you pick on someone your own size! I’m not gonna let you pick on my friend, Pierre, here! Noew, come on, Bob! You’re a millionaire, and I’m not sure all that money was made on the up-and-up!

Bob Dole: George, how would you like this pen stuck right in your neck?!

Pat Schroeder: Gentlemen, please..

George Bush: I’d like to see you try!

Bob Dole: I could take you with my one good arm, George Bush, and you know that! In a fair fight, you could use two!”

bob June 28, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I recently attended this:

Audience members rang cowbells during the applause.

Steve C. June 28, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Any list of SNL sketches that leaves out the Bass-O-Matic is suspect.

Barkley Rosser June 28, 2010 at 4:25 pm

For the record, I predict that every one of the five predictions made in the Predictions link will
prove wrong, although I do agree with #2 that what we have been going through has been “The Big
One.” The main issue is that it is mostly over now. At the worst, Greek debt will get restructured,
we now know what it is, and the euro will survive. This is just a goofball post.

Michael M. June 28, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Bitcoin seems interesting, if it picks up I can see it becoming illegal really quickly, not that has ever really stopped p2p

Though I’m disappointed that they don’t have a version for mac, only for windows and linux

Doug June 28, 2010 at 6:29 pm

“There was a time when they walked an edge, now they seem to revel in plunging over it.”

Nah, the edge just moved, and you don’t realize it. Don’t worry, it happens to everybody. Its called getting old.

Tom Grey June 28, 2010 at 8:58 pm

Not the 5 states, but maybe the 25 canton solution for Israel-Palestine.

After ’67, Israel failed to impose human rights respecting democracy on the occupied territories. It failed to protect the (mildly?) anti-Israeli ‘moderate’ Palestinian Arabs from being murdered by radical anti-Israeli Arabs. (In Iraq, many moderate Sunnis, even imams, are being murdered.)

Weak central gov’t, with stronger local cantons, should be the solution of choice for countries with ethnic rivalries. Switzerland is a great example.
But, of course, most elites hate it — too many small ponds for their Big Fish dreams.

“The Solution” (Kendall & Louv) was a great book advocating the Swiss Canton system for South Africa.
It also could have possibly saved Yugoslavia.
And today, Iraq & Afghanistan … and Israel.

(And the Cape!

But I fear that SI is correct — the Palestinians have been, by now, too far infected with a self-pity victimization, so that peaceful existence with Israel is not now possible.
And won’t be, without at least one more massively destructive war.
I’m so sad about this conclusion.

Delirious June 28, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Can anyone tell me where I can find video of the original Nathan Thurm skit?

Michael June 29, 2010 at 3:10 am

#8 Great photo of Merkel in complete command of her bruot.

Ham June 29, 2010 at 6:36 am

Does SNL employ a particularly unique, American style of humor? Because I’m befuddled, I didn’t find any of the those skits particularly funny.

Curt Fischer June 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Would bitcoin or a similar alternative make is easier to create black markets in currencies that are supposedly pegged to other currencies?

If someone can untraceably and anonymously sell yuan for bitcoins, and somebody else can sell dollars untraceably and anonymously for bitcoins, it’s hard to see how well a government-mandated currency peg would last.

FreeMoney August 22, 2010 at 6:26 am

MtGox.com and BitcoinMarket.com let you trade bitcoin for USD
the wikilink is broken,the best info is at bitcoin.org