Corn tamale home recipe

by on August 12, 2010 at 2:55 pm in Food and Drink | Permalink

Here is another reader request:

more tyler cowen home recipes. previous installments have been helpful thanks.

Lately I have been buying frozen corn tamales ("tamale de elote") from a Latin supermarket or Shoppers Food Warehouse.  Steam them, wrapped, for ten to twelve minutes.  Serve with El Salvadoran white sour cream on top or to the side.  (Honduran or Guatemalan white sour cream will do in a pinch.)  You also can heat up some Goya small red beans, with a bit of freshly ground cumin and ideally some fresh stock.  For the ambitious, make the stock from celery, black pepper, salt, onion slices, pork neck, and one ancho chile, but the beans taste fine on their own.

It's one of the easiest good meals I know and its a way to bring some deflation into your life.

prior_approval August 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Beans? – I’m not sure if that is on the deflation or the inflation side of the issue. Seems a matter of timing more than anything less – potentially public deflation resulting from previous private inflation.

el August 12, 2010 at 3:12 pm

With my recent acquisition of a rice cooker, I’ve enjoyed a lot of kimchi fried rice. Is bulgogi halal? I’ve made a lot of that.

Lazy mini thin crust pizzas using tortillas are also good.

phil August 12, 2010 at 3:24 pm

prior_approval has most of it. Doesn’t matter if it’s public or private, beans follow a pretty proven cycle: first a period of gradual inflation followed by (depending on the size of the bubble) gradual or accute deflation.

In that fashion, Tyler is absolutely right, over time the dish will lead to deflation…

skroah August 12, 2010 at 3:37 pm

To make it a little better you can make your beans fresh in the rice cooker as well, fuzzy logic model. This beats the pressure cooker method in my book and similarly requires no attention or thought. I’ve found that the Mexican markets have the freshest dried beans–straight off the truck I am sure. Cook them with wakame to remove some of the inflationary pressures.

azmyth August 12, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I love the discussion of sour creams. I personally only have one sour cream in my fridge, but simply the consideration that someone would stock half a dozen types of sour cream and might run out of El Salvadorian sour cream, but would have plenty of Honduran sour cream sitting around tells you something about our society.

agnostic August 12, 2010 at 4:36 pm

In partial fairness to foodies, I do understand that there’s a minority among them that are returning to real food — liver, tripe, bone marrow, pork rinds, etc. They seem to be located mostly in the New York area.

I think they’re doing it mostly for shock value in a status contest, but if that’s what it takes for real food to become acceptable again, I’ll take it.

pj August 12, 2010 at 4:51 pm

this blog post reads like a parody of itself

Doc Merlin August 12, 2010 at 6:00 pm

:Rages against pure corn tamales:
Pork tamales are much better!

Sigivald August 12, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Alex: Or Kevin Drum.

I figured that Tyler was probably joking, but did a quick search to see if maybe there really were regionally distinct sour creams*, and found that post.

(* I dislike sour cream in general, so I wouldn’t have any idea in the first place.)

agnostic: “Real food” meaning “peasant food” meaning “food you ate because food was expensive and precious and starving was bad”?

I mean, I love liver and pork rinds and tripe, but… they’re not identical to “real food”. There’s a reason they tend to be abandoned when people get rich enough to not have to eat them to survive.

anonymous August 12, 2010 at 7:39 pm

@Sean P.

Yeah but in this case, he isn’t cooking with the sour cream. It’s just being served as-is, as a topping.

Yan August 12, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Why do people have trouble imagining different sour creams? Greek yogurt is different from regular yogurt.

Doc Merlin August 13, 2010 at 2:53 am

Well said Sigivald. It is like rice in China.

@angus
I prefer corn husk to banana leaf. The banana leaf tamales tend to have a much too high masa to meat ratio.

texas liposuction August 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Corn tamale home recipe just gone through the ingredients it’s looks interesting well corn is mine favourite one but i have never taste the Corn tamale,well i am so curious to make it.

Sean P. August 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Still more on regional differences in sour cream:

That means it’s not enough to simply stock the tangy dairy topping called “crema,” for example — to be a truly complete resource, ShopRite has to acquire three versions, suited to the tastes of Mexico, El Salvador and Guatemala.

“You think they’re the same, but they’re not even close,” Rich Mestro, director of operations for the Delaware ShopRites, said of the country-specific variations in many products, from hot sauce to soft drinks. “We learned that.”

Source: http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20100801/BUSINESS/8010324/New-Delaware-supermarket-restocks-shelves-with-Latino-flavor