The culture that is Japan, markets in everything

by on August 7, 2010 at 7:30 am in Food and Drink | Permalink

Insect sushi:

Insect_sushi_08

There is much more at the link, including more photos, and I thank Michael Mullen for the pointer.

Insect2

TomG August 7, 2010 at 7:32 am

Yum, just in time for breakfast – will accompany with a strong Bloody Mary … and dental floss, no doubt

Rich August 7, 2010 at 9:19 am

The second photo would appear not to include an insect.

Paul Walker August 7, 2010 at 10:43 am

I haven’t had insect sushi, but honey roasted grasshoppers were really nice when I was on exchange in Japan. Among the group of us that went, the consensus was that the worst thing anyone had eaten (in this case unknowingly) was bulls’ testicles. But that’s apparently an American food too†¦ “weird† is relative.

Baphomet August 7, 2010 at 11:15 am

The only unappealing traditional Japanese delicacy I have had so far is konowata. I first found it on a room-service menu in a hotel in Kyoto, where it was given in English as “children’s entrails” (a literal translation), which intrigued me somewhat. Big mistake!

Mort Dubois August 7, 2010 at 11:52 am

Is this something that is commonly eaten or some kind of art/shock thing? I need more context before I add this to my opinion about an entire country.

joshTU August 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I’m Japanese, I have never heard of insect sushi before and I think these images look wrong. If you look at the group shot of 8 “sushi” pieces, the rice for the sushi looks all funky. A Sushi chef would have far more consistency in how the rice looks. I’d wager that this is some art conceptual piece as opposed to an actual dish at a restaurant.

I’m kinda annoyed that this is presented as Japanese culture without a bit more checking. Not for what it implies but more for inaccuracy.

足家堂 August 7, 2010 at 1:17 pm

像您学习,争取把我的博客http://www.39qywy.com做的跟您一样棒。

agnostic August 7, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Doesn’t look gross at all, though it doesn’t look mouth-watering either, and I’m eating breakfast while looking at the pictures.

I think some people are too reliant on non-animal foods that they wimp out over trivial departures from it to real food. Put down the Cheerios and blueberry scones and pick up some liver cheese and hard-boiled eggs.

Vivi August 7, 2010 at 10:13 pm

A friend who lives in Japan tells me that “Japanses aint no Taï, we do not eat insect here, never, no way. there is no market for those sushi here, but he say the opposite, and claim to be the most creative and bankable chef ever, he want to open a big chain of insect sushi restaurant … but of course, no bank follow him.”