Say No!

by on November 19, 2010 at 7:35 am in Current Affairs, Law, Travel | Permalink

Here is what New York State's Office of Children & Family Services recommends that you tell your children about inappropriate touching:

• You are special and important.
  • Your body is your own.
  • You have the right to say "NO" if someone wants to touch you in any way that makes you feel uncomfortable, afraid or confused.
  • There are parts of your body that are private. You have the right to say "NO" to anyone who wants to touch your vagina, penis, breasts or buttocks. You have my permission to say "NO" even if that person is an adult … even if it's a grown-up you know.
  • Pay attention to your feelings. Trust your feelings about the way people touch you.
  • If someone bothers you, I want you to tell me. I promise that I will believe you.
  • If someone touches you in a way that does not seem right, it is not your fault.

Children need to know that the safety rules about touching apply all the time, not just with strangers … or with men … or with baby sitters. In many cases …children are sexually abused by people they know and trust [including] authority figures….

Also, abusers seldom need to use physical force…Unfortunately, abusers can use threats successfully because children are taught to believe and obey adults.

Excellent advice for children and for adults.

Authority figures, for example, may also use threats of violence to engage in abuse against adults, for example, "you will be blown up unless you let me touch your genitals and take naked pictures of you."

1 Norm DeLisle November 19, 2010 at 3:41 am

Interesting information, especially in the face of TSA scanning and groping.

2 Andrew November 19, 2010 at 4:30 am

Actually, there is only slightly more than a zero percent chance you will be blown up and zero percent chance that the security theater reduces those chances. They have yet to stop one of these bombing attempts, the passengers have stopped them. They will never stop one, but each new one they don't stop will justify further nonsense.

In 5 minutes I could walk out my door and kill perhaps a hundred people before anyone could stop me. I don't possess any greater capability than millions of other Americans, so dear security theater thespians, please don't come arrest me. That was not a threat. It is what we call in the intellectual community a hypothetical.

3 Andrew November 19, 2010 at 6:16 am

"Nearly a year after a thwarted terrorist attack on a Detroit-bound airliner last Christmas Day, "

Janet, you despicable POS. You didn't thwart shit. You could say the passengers and flight crew did. Well, mainly the passengers…as always.

But really, what thwarted the pathetic bombing attempt was that it was a pathetic attempt and these people aren't a fraction of the theat that you hype them up to terrorize us with.

4 Luke Stiles November 19, 2010 at 7:07 am

The literary press just addressed this issue.

5 Yancey Ward November 19, 2010 at 8:25 am

Of course, now, every pedophile has a new line:

"Sweetie, you don't have to tell Mommy and Daddy about this, I work at the airport."

6 joan November 19, 2010 at 8:57 am

We should have said no long ago to the things that government has been doing to keep us "safe". I am glad that people finally got mad, but what does it say about us when TSA touching genitals causes more outrage on the right than the war in Iraq, torturing prisoners, and the patriot act.

7 Andrew November 19, 2010 at 9:41 am

TSAs are nothing like doctors.

So, the question becomes how much do they enjoy rubbing my dick.

8 Andrew November 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

I propose that every T&A screener be required to wear a penile or vaginal plethysmograph with an LED sign over their head to publicly display their level of arousal.

9 David Zetland November 19, 2010 at 10:21 am

hahahahahahaahaaaa!!

10 whose body? November 19, 2010 at 11:31 am

Anyone else find it sad that your body is your own in New York as a child, but if you're an adult and choose to put certain chemicals into your body (the same one you allegedly own) it becomes state property for 1-3 years?

11 Ryan Vann November 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

"Crossing my fingers it's a bunch of hot chicks."

I hope the private rooms are stocked with booze and strippers.

12 Bill November 19, 2010 at 3:39 pm

There is a greater risk of being abused on this website.

Perhaps Tyler/Tabarrok need to publish a list of inappropriate verbal abuse.

"If someone bothers you, I want you to tell me. I promise that I will believe you."

13 Matthew C. November 19, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Thank you Alex for standing up for all of us here on your virtual podium and letting the TSA and Obushma administration have it.

14 Blinky Signs November 20, 2010 at 6:32 am

I didn't consider the fact that an abuser may not use force to abuse. Just the fact that they just weasel their way into it is a concern.

15 bbq sauce club November 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Now,the portablebarbecue club and smokers for Barbeque at barbecuesclub are good helpers for almost everyone. If you having barbecue outdoor, thesebbq sauce clubare your necessities.

16 Car Accessories November 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm

LED Cab Lights :
Replace your factory Amber Cab lights with LED Cab Lights. LED Lights offer greater visability and improved looks. Easy to install. For more information , Please visit http://www.slickcar.com/

Thanking
Car Accessories

17 sabo charms January 24, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Your site Very Cool,When it comes to fashion, there’s nothing like a beautiful piece of silver