Best economics books for five- to ten-year olds

by on December 18, 2010 at 10:52 am in Books, Economics, Education | Permalink

At FiveBooks, from Yana van der Meulen.  The first pick is Cloud Tea Monkeys ("This book focuses on a woman who is very poor") and I have not heard of any of them so I cannot judge the list.

Between the ages of five and ten, I liked books on science, books with maps, and by age ten I liked books on chess and also on cryptography and mathematics, most of the Trachtenberg method of speed arithmetic.  An alternative approach is to give your kid books which invest in analytical capacity, without trying to teach economics at all.  Is economics a topic or a mode of thought?  Perhaps it matters what age you are at.

By the way, did you know that the awesome FiveBooks has now merged with the awesome The Browser?  Let's hope the antitrust authorities let that one proceed…

1 Aguirre December 18, 2010 at 7:05 am

"The Ox Cart Man" is a fantastic econ book for a 5 year old. It introduced me to the idea of division of labor and gains from trade.

2 David N December 18, 2010 at 9:39 am

A great book to read to your 5 year-old entrepreneur is "Boom Town" by Sonia Levitin.

3 CBBB December 18, 2010 at 4:19 pm

If you want your kid to become an economist the best thing would be to get books that make them interested in physics and hope they aren't smart enough to cut it as an academic physicist.
(Kidding, Kidding)

4 dave smith December 18, 2010 at 11:53 pm

I used to think that gender roles were socialized until I had my own kids. I'd be really surprised if this is a good list.

Are Russ Roberts' book accessable to a bright 10 year old? My guess is that when my oldest is 10, he'd be able to read them.

I'll second "The Little Red Hen" for any aged person.

5 SONORAMA December 19, 2010 at 2:05 am

The Incredible Bread Machine, by R.W. Grant.

6 Brian December 19, 2010 at 6:28 am

Most of my numerate friends were rabid sports fans as children. Statistical abstracts and tomes devoted to historical comparisons were devoured with disproportionate enthusiasm.

Sports minutiae is a rather painless way for a geeky numbers kid to accrue 'cred' with older males.

BT

7 zbicyclist December 19, 2010 at 11:56 am

"Ginger and Pickles," by Beatrix Potter, as Salamander mentioned, is available free here:

If Ginger and Pickles had Mickey Mouse's lawyer, they could be living off royalties now.